Anything special about the KORG N364?

ricoche

• Members

well the reason for not being sold i guess is that new products come in with the same features and around the same price tag..to be honest i dont like modern sound on synths so i would suggest to have a listen to it and go for a better deal if you can get it cheap it would be just fine although the main point is to help you make some music...

• Members

By the way Harmoney, welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum to you aswell Conbrio.

You've been here how long? - is it all of 2 weeks already?.....

& 99 posts, none of which are more than one sentence long.

Your contributions are invaluable... :bor:

• Members

Welcome to the forum to you aswell Conbrio.

You've been here how long? - is it all of 2 weeks already?.....

& 99 posts, none of which are more than one sentence long.

Guess you haven't read all of them.

But I'm not one for sermons--I prefer to get right to the point.:cool:

• 9 months later...
  • Members

Here's is an update on my first post regarding the Korg N364.

The second year has almost past and that Korg N364 is still sitting there on the shelf with the same price tag of $625. Today I finally played it and gave the sales clerk my first offer of $525 and he declined. So I thought, see ya next year! ... laugh. He did look up the N364 on the computer but I haven't figured out yet where he is looking. Yahoo Auction Japan has the N364 for much less and while Ebay is more it seems, I know this shop doesn't look there.

I actually thought the N364 sounded pretty good. The arpeggiator was a bit difficult to tame and I didn't really like the feeling of the keys all that much. The screen was not backlit and there were quite a few scratches on it. The sounds were good, but it's the sequencer I particularly like. I'm very used to it coming from the X3 and that's my primary reason other than the sounds that interest me. The RPPR is cool as well. The joystick I should add was also very springy and a bit noisy. It's like it needed oil or something.

I don't think I would have payed $525 for it though, but I just wanted to see if he would come off the price since it's been in the shop going on two years now. He definitely feels he can wait it out I guess so as long as he is manager of the store that's what he'll likely do. He does give me pretty good deals on stuff so we're good friends, but for some reason he won't let that Korg N364 go. Perhaps it's his old keyboard ... laugh.

The Korg N364 is still commanding pretty high prices and now I even see the Korg X3 seems to be going up as well.

I'm still scratching my head on that Korg N364.

Jim

• Members

A lot of goth/symphonic metal bands liked the N364 because it has a sound that cuts through quite a thick mix nicely.

Given a choice i'd certainly take one over a Trinity, the onboard sounds on that are cheesy, MOSS is nice if you can get one with it but still monophonic.

Triton i won;t comment on as I haven't owned one of listened to one unduly.

• Members

Nope, there were MOSS-TRI and SOLO-TRI expansion boards for Trinity. First one is 6-voice MOSS board, second one is 1-voice Prophecy board. I still have one certain issue of Korg Proview magazine that I nicked from the local music shop at that time ;) - it highlighted on OS v3.0 of Trinity, and all the available expansions. Korg Z1 was released after Trinity, but they adapted MOSS for Trinity expansion board format, which required an OS update, whereas Prophecy was released the same year as Trinity and was readily available as an expansion board, so it wasn't compatible with OS v3.0. This means that you can have either SOLO-TRI, or MOSS-TRI installed in the Trinity.

• Members

Well I just took a look at the completed listings on Ebay and the average price sold for the last six N364 is $718.00 if correct. The price it seems is still pretty far up there and I'm not seeing any sold for under $500. So the $625 asking price seems reasonable I suppose for Ebay, but in Japan the N364 is still selling much cheaper on Yahoo Japan. So I may go back to the store and bug the guy a bit more. He was very busy yesterday so that might have something to do with it. We'll see.

From my experience thus far in Nagano Japan, people either want to buy the really new stuff like the Kronos or they want the much older vintage analog stuff and nothing in between. I've been buying from this guy's shop for about three years and probably know his keyboard sales better than him because I am the one buying most of his gear...laugh.

One feature about the N364 that I really like is that when you power off the keyboard, the sequencer still retains all of the songs and patterns just like the X3 and my Rm1x. I don't find too many keyboards that have that feature although I know many likely do. Most of my Roland and Yamaha keyboards I own don't though. I like and use hardware sequencers a lot although I do use software occasionally.

@Radman - Great post! I tend to agree. Thanks.

Archived