Stepdown transformers ( for using USA voltage instruments in Europe/ UK/ the rest of

iphoenix

• Members

I am expecting a new synth which I just bought from California, it should arrive in about a week all being well ( in Ireland)

It doesn't have a voltage selector so I need to use a 'stepdown transformer' to adapt the power supply from UK ( &Irish/ European) standard voltage 240 Volts to the synths USA standard 120 volt supply.

Im just looking for some advice here about this.

Can I just use a generic 'step down convertor' eg; from 'Maplins' etc ? They do one for @ 40Euros.

Obviously I dont want to blow up my new baby which runs at 25 Watts according to the electrical info plate on the back.

Anyone had experience with this?

warm regards Thanks Paul

• Members

Hi Doug,

Its A Kawai K5000S , ( which Ive been wanting since 1998!). AC 120 Volts . ( 60 HZ / 25 Watts.)

Standard US Power supply)

No voltage switch unfortunately.

The power supply here & in most of the 'Western world' is 220 -240 Volts, so obviously I wont be plugging that in & blowing up my new synth.

I was checking out the options last night & a 'step-down transformer ' is needed to bring down the voltage from power supply here, to the Kawai's 120 V (US model).

They range from a few Dollars / Euros to hundreds of $ s. I dont have any experience with these transformers, which is why I asked , just in case Im missing something vital I need to know before I make a decision & purchase & I plug in.

• Members

If all you ever expect to need is 25 Watts (or just a bit more), and as long as the Kawai doesn't require a grounded/earthed outlet, then the following should be sufficient:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=19413

Rated for 45 Watts.

If you'd like some reserve power available, and/or the Kawai has a 3-pin power plug (requiring ground):

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=31899

Rated for 100 Watts.

Of course, a transformer with higher wattage rating will work, but will be heavier/bulkier/more expensive.

• Members

If all you ever expect to need is 25 Watts (or just a bit more), and as long as the Kawai doesn't require a grounded/earthed outlet, then the following should be sufficient:

Rated for 45 Watts.

If you'd like some reserve power available, and/or the Kawai has a 3-pin power plug (requiring ground):

Rated for 100 Watts.

Of course, a transformer with higher wattage rating will work, but will be heavier/bulkier/more expensive.

Yeah I was looking at those models. Thats the sort of thing Ill go for, Thanks DINpluggedIN. Probably example no. 2 , as the Kawai has 3 pin power plug. I just want to make sure.

Archived