FM radio interference through my amp...

desertjuan

• Members

does anyone know how to solve this problem (other than returning the amp):

i bought an ampeg amp, and i am getting LOUD FM interference (FM 101) through it at all times in my house (not in the store). i have dedicated grounded lines for my amps, and my other amps don't do this, but no matter what room, what outlet, grounded or ground-lifted, the result is the same. blaring FM101...

is there any solution, better shielding, an FM filter, etc?

i have had this problem occur with several other amps over the past 2 years that i've lived here, and i have ended up returning them.

i would really like to keep this amp, so any thoughts?

• Members

I had the same problem with a Carl Martin Compressor pedal that picked up a radio station. I spent a lot of time and money trying to fix it with a friend who is an electrical engineer, including shielding, Ferrite beads, etc. But nothing worked and I eventually got rid of it. I might have expected that from a cheap pedal, but this thing cost over $200. Nothing else in my studio picks up radio interference including a $19 Behringer pedal. Maybe there's a solution, but after spending hours of research online, I wasn't able to find anything that worked.

• Members

yeah, not really what i want to hear, but you're probably right.
i went through this with my hartke amp, and finally some ferrous beads seemed to do the trick for the most part.
but i've put two ferrous cores on this one, installed grounded shielding, and a few other tricks, and it still doesn't make a difference...

• Members

does anyone know how to solve this problem (other than returning the amp): i bought an ampeg amp, and i am getting LOUD FM interference (FM 101) through it at all times in my house (not in the store). i have dedicated grounded lines for my amps, and my other amps don't do this, but no matter what room, what outlet, grounded or ground-lifted, the result is the same. blaring FM101...is there any solution, better shielding, an FM filter, etc?

i have had this problem occur with several other amps over the past 2 years that i've lived here, and i have ended up returning them. i would really like to keep this amp, so any thoughts?

If you have had the same problem with other amps then that rules out the amp itself as being the culprit. What usually solves this is high quality instrument cables.

We just had a customer from Rochester NY with the same problem. He has a radio tower fairly close to him and every amp experienced the same problem. He happened to stop into the shop and was making mention of the problem he bas been dealing with for years. We have two different cable lines and as our 50/50 instrument cables have a dual braided shield we sold two of them to him to try. He called back a couple two days later saying not only did his tone improve but it cured his problem as the cables shielded out the RF-signals.

For what it's worth

Trace

• Members

hmm, well i 'll try that thanks

To take it one step further; Cables with either poor quality wire or poor quality shielding can pick up the RF/radio frequencies and send into the amp where it is amplified throughout each stage (IE: gets louder and louder). If the radio tower is really close it can be the amp itself picking up the RF signals however if it's happening with every amp you use there then it makes more sense to use good quality instrument cables (they do not have to be ours).

Hope it helps

Trace

• Members

Originally posted by Voodoo Amps

hmm, well i 'll try that thanks

To take it one step further; Cables with either poor quality wire or poor quality shielding can pick up the RF/radio frequencies and send into the amp where it is amplified throughout each stage (IE: gets louder and louder). If the radio tower is really close it can be the amp itself picking up the RF signals however if it's happening with every amp you use there then it makes more sense to use good quality instrument cables (they do not have to be ours).

Hope it helps

Trace

+1

had the same problem with my old cable when i first got my cobra. always got some slovakian radio in my sound. a new cable (cordial did it for me) shut the radio down.

Archived