Mk IV vs Marshall JCM800

yngzaklynch

• Members

The Marshall sounds great but I still enjoy playing through the Mk IV more than the Marshall. I bought a great boost and Hotplate for the Marshall, and still the Mesa is more favorable to my fingers and ears. The Marshall sounds huge and fat but I know the Mesa is gonna get the majority of my playing time. Should I part with the Marshall? Hmmmmmmmmmm

EDIT:

OK I took everything out of the loop. Now I'm just running it sort of like ZW... Budda Wah >Keeley SD-1 >Boss CE-5 chorus. It actually sounds much nicer this way.

• Members

Don't get rid of the JCM 800. Do you need the money? If you don't, keep it just to have. MK IV's are pretty awsome, but they don't quite nail that tone that one channel JCM 800's don't get.

Kind of a side question, yng, how would you compare the Splawn you had a while back to the 2203x you have now? I just bought a JCM 800 2204 and I wondering what to expect.

• Members

Dude the Marshall is all I thought it would be. Actually this one seems to have a better volume taper than my first. It sounds great. In the most simple terms the Mk IV is what works for me. I'm pretty sure at this point I can just buy other guitars but I'm open to other amps I guess.

• Members

Originally posted by FuelGTRX

Don't get rid of the JCM 800. Do you need the money? If you don't, keep it just to have. MK IV's are pretty awsome, but they don't quite nail that tone that one channel JCM 800's don't get.

Kind of a side question, yng, how would you compare the Splawn you had a while back to the 2203x you have now? I just bought a JCM 800 2204 and I wondering what to expect.

The splawn Comp I had was a cross between the JCM800 and a really cool Plexi. I cannot say a bad thing about the splawns tone. I just prefer the tone(s) and feel of the Mk IV. Splawn is Lynch, DeMartini, Jake E Lee type tones. Great lead sound.

• Members

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X

What speakers are you using with the MKIV? I'm loving mine, but I'm not sure if the V30s are agreeing with me. Got any suggestions?

Sorry to hijack your thread.
:)

Actually I use a Bogner Uberkab which has V 30 and 75s in an X pattern. I also used a Mk IV through a Mesa 4x12loaded with V30s. I love the V30s with the Mk IV myself.

• Members

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X

What speakers are you using with the MKIV? I'm loving mine, but I'm not sure if the V30s are agreeing with me. Got any suggestions?

Sorry to hijack your thread.
:)

If you don't like the V30s, try those Mesa metal grill cabinets with the C90s and EVs. Also, CL80s might be your thing. Personally, I love V30s.

• Members

Originally posted by yngzaklynch

Actually I use a Bogner Uberkab which has V 30 and 75s in an X pattern. I also used a Mk IV through a Mesa 4x12loaded with V30s. I love the V30s with the Mk IV myself.

So I guess you preferred the Mesa cab with the Mark IV then?

Just wondering, I have a JCM800 cab with V30 and 75s in an X pattern, and I'm thinking about selling it to get a Mesa "Stilletto" 4X12 (also known as traditionnal Recto cab)

... Although I could keep the two 75s I took out of the Marshall and put them in the Mesa if I don't like it... hmmmm

Anybody looking for a JCM800 cab? :D

• Members

Originally posted by Hardtailed

So I guess you preferred the Mesa cab with the Mark IV then?

Just wondering, I have a JCM800 cab with V30 and 75s in an X pattern, and I'm thinking about selling it to get a Mesa "Stilletto" 4X12 (also known as traditionnal Recto cab)

... Although I could keep the two 75s I took out of the Marshall and put them in the Mesa if I don't like it... hmmmm

Anybody looking for a JCM800 cab?
:D

I did think about that but Bogner makes a pretty great cab so I'll probably just replace the speakers like a certain somebody on this forum has been telling me to do for years now.

• Members

How do you think it sounds with 4 75's? A guy wants to trade me his Marshall 1960b for my vertical 2x12 halfback cab (with 2 MC90s). I'm tempted to do it since sometimes I don't get along with that cab at all. It seems to sound really bad when you're right in front of it, and I find the MC90s can sound flubby and farty for high gain chugging. That said it does sound great for clean, low gain, and leads...

• Members

Originally posted by Code-001

If you don't like the V30s, try those Mesa metal grill cabinets with the C90s and EVs. Also, CL80s might be your thing. Personally, I love V30s.

I actually have two CL80s mixed with two Century Vintages. One of the pairs must be messing it all up. :mad: I've been wanting to check out some MC-90s. They that much different from CL80s?

Originally posted by jem7vwh

Might as well sell it, seeing as how they're fetching for lots of $ on eBay lately.

Probably a good idea. I wonder if the price surge is from the new line of Marshalls. Sell the Marshall and get som kickass speakers. ;)

• Members

For many years most of us have been telling you that you are a prime candidate for 2 amps... a Marshall and a Mesa. Having both amps will allow you to get the tones that you desire. Now that you have finally achieved that goal, may I ask why are you thinking about letting one go?

• Members

Originally posted by gainfreak

For many years most of us have been telling you that you are a prime candidate for 2 amps... a Marshall and a Mesa. Having both amps will allow you to get the tones that you desire. Now that you have finally achieved that goal, may I ask why are you thinking about letting one go?

Because I think I'll only ever really use the Mesa. I always thought the reason Marshalls didn't work for me is because they need to be cranked. Well I got the hot plate and yeah it sounds bad ass. Thing is the Mk IV is just "it" for me in terms of tone and feel. I tried damn near everything and the Mk IV has it so why keep trying. Maybe another super high gainer for {censored}s and giggles but really I think I would be better served by just having another nice axe.

• Members

Because I think I'll only ever really use the Mesa. I always thought the reason Marshalls didn't work for me is because they need to be cranked. Well I got the hot plate and yeah it sounds bad ass. Thing is the Mk IV is just "it" for me in terms of tone and feel. I tried damn near everything and the Mk IV has it so why keep trying. Maybe another super high gainer for shits and giggles but really I think I would be better served by just having another nice axe.

You know I love ya bro, but As an outsider looking in, and based on your track record, I'm not so sure that you won't be jonesing for a marshall a few weeks after you get rid of it. I personally think that you are a restless soul :D

The way I see it now, You have all of the bases covered now with your curent setup.

I personally feel that you move in circles (not an insult, merely an observation)

You buy a MKIV, second guess yourself and buy the splawn. Then you get the Splawn and miss the MKIV, so you sell the Splawn to get another MKIV. I think that you are repeating the pattern. (bought a Stilletto....traded it for a guitar......traded back for money to buy a Marshall and now you are thinking about selling the Marshall and getting another guitar !)

If I were you, I would save up for another cab for the Marshall and call it a day but only you know whats best for ya!!!

Best of luck you Knucklehead!!

Love ya bro!!

:D

Archived