Bogner Shiva: How heavy can it get?

bikerdude2

• Members

Originally posted by Pwn3d

Im gonna say no.

There's this idea floating around the forum that the Shiva is incapable of anything remotely heavy, and that's ass.

I've played an unmodded Shiva side-by-side with an unmodded JCM 2000 TSL, and the Shiva's gain at 3:00 with the boost engaged is roughly equivalent to the Marshall's at 2:00, both at band volumes. The Shiva's a lot thicker sounding and a bit darker.

It falls pretty squarely into the "modded Marshall" camp, but with a thicker, darker voicing. There's plenty of gain on tap. For those who've heard Jerry Cantrell's Degradation Trip, that's all Shiva, the whole album. That's a pretty thick, heavy tone, and that's pretty much what they sound like in person.

I just e-mailed someone from my old band who has a clip I did with some heavy riffing on the Shiva. Once I get it, I'll post it.

• Members

Originally posted by danhops

I'd agree with that. The voicing was not my taste.

This falls true with all amps, however, there are some manufacturers with what I consider to be unique voicings, Bogner and VHT being two of them. It seems that most players either really like them or don't like them at all.

• Members
Originally posted by Bob Savage

This falls true with all amps, however, there are some manufacturers with what I consider to be unique voicings, Bogner and VHT being two of them. It seems that most players either really like them or don't like them at all.

I like my Uber much more than the Shiva. That said, its going to be getting some work done. I think I'll dig it much more when it comes back.

• Members

What are you doing to it, and who's doing it?

Camerons gonna redo the clean to be Shiva like ( I loved the Shiva clean), and rework the OD to be less fizzy, and more clear. Spoke with him for about an hour last night, and decided I'm gonna give it a try.

• Members

Originally posted by danhops

Camerons gonna redo the clean to be Shiva like ( I loved the Shiva clean), and rework the OD to be less fizzy, and more clear. Spoke with him for about an hour last night, and decided I'm gonna give it a try.

How is he going to get the clean Shiva-like without changing at least the power section? I'd think both the power and pre sections are different enough that it's not possible, but I'm no techie.

When you get it, you need to A/B that sucker with a Shiva's clean and report back!

• Members

Thanks...I'll check them out tonight when I get home from work. If the voicing is anything like the XTC, I'm sure I'd love it.

I have some clips on my site that I would consider 80's style rock/metal. I'd say yes, but you need to know whether you like the voicing or not. That's the clincher...

• Members

Originally posted by Exocaster

There's this idea floating around the forum that the Shiva is incapable of anything remotely heavy, and that's ass.

To me, there are better suited amps. If your going for that sound why not just get a marshall? Im not saying it cant, it might, when I played through one it didnt seem like it. I mean its like saying a bassman only gets clean sounds; yeah suuuuuuuure!

IMHO

• Members

Originally posted by telephant

because the Bogner its in own variation of that sound. And it sounds thicker than the 2000 series Marshalls but with just as much gain...

Well, my post was just in realtion to the era. Most I would say were using marshalls.

But yeah, I think we all like different flavors. Just think back in the day you had only a few. Now you can get anything you want which makes things harder. (on our wallets too :D)

• Members

Originally posted by bikerdude2

Thanks...I'll check them out tonight when I get home from work. If the voicing is anything like the XTC, I'm sure I'd love it.

I find the voicing to be quite a bit different than the Ecstasy. There are some similarities, but I find there to be similarities in all of Reinholds designs, but it's definitely a different beast.

Archived