Rivera Clubster 45 Speaker Upgrade

soundjunkie

• Members

I'm new to this forum and this will be my first post. I have just purchased a new Rivera and I can not get a decent tone from the Celestion G12-P80 custom voiced speaker. It is piercing, shrill and just plain loud with no warm overtones or soul. I like the amp and the dirty channel is pretty good but the clean channel just plain sucks with this speaker. I can't get tube saturation till I turn up past 7, so that just aint cuttin it. I'd like somthing with a faster break-up. I'm looking at a Emminence tone-spotter replacement or maybe a Governor, but I think that is too loud a speaker for my taste. The Eminence speakers are very efficient and super loud. Loud and shrill is not what I need. I need some warm woman tones.:eek:

• Members

So, is the Celestion 65 a warmer more responsive fatter founder and fuller sound? I can't find anything out on this retarded G12-P80 Celestion speaker they put in this amp. I guess Fender uses them sometimes too, but no specs and no information - I don't know how sensitive they are or anything else.

• Members

Originally posted by soundjunkie

So, is the Celestion 65 a warmer more responsive fatter founder and fuller sound? I can't find anything out on this retarded G12-P80 Celestion speaker they put in this amp. I guess Fender uses them sometimes too, but no specs and no information - I don't know how sensitive they are or anything else.

Less responsive, because that's what you're looking for. Higher responsiveness will make your amp louder, and you already hate the original speaker for doing that.

Anyways, usually "custom-voiced" speakers are usually more apt to be named "custom-{censored}." Check out Eminence's Cannabis Rex. Great speaker, but high sensitivity, so that might be a breaking point for you, but check it out.

• Members
:thu: Thanks man! You are right - usually amp manufactures must "cut a deal" with speaker companies to manufacture these "special" models that really are pieces of {censored} masked by a fancy name. Ever wonder why amps never give you any speaker specs? Because the speakers are usually crap. All this and I bought a Rivera partly because their slogan is "Definition of Tone". I play a guitar not a freaking piano and that is what the clean channel on this amp sounds like with this Celestion garbage in it!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived