ALL KURZWEIL ALL THE TIME

• Members

So the Kurzweil is for Classical piano players?

It can be if needed. :) It's also excellent to do many other music styles. I just thought you would appreciate since you seem interested in ghosts. :evil:

You can also use certain Kurzweils to do things that are now very rarely used, like transmitting polyphonic aftertouch. :idea:

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dave Smith Instruments and Moog Music are small companies yet I see their stuff everywhere.
:confused:

Well, Moog did cancel some products when they went through Bankrupcy in the 80s, just like Kurz did a few years ago... I don't understand your point. I guess you didn't read this post where Dave Weiser shed a little light on what was going on at Kurzweil at the time.

• Members

Well, Moog did cancel some products when they went through Bankrupcy in the 80s, just like Kurz did a few years ago... I don't understand your point. I guess you didn't read
where Dave Weiser shed a little light on what was going on at Kurzweil at the time.

My point is that other companies have had similar problems and yet their products are everywhere for people to judge and enjoy. Kurzweil needs to pull their head out and elaborate on an advertising and distribution program and stop rehashing the same product. Maybe even adjust their "face" as the name is synonymous with old fogies playing classical music and/or traditional jazz. Not sure if that's what they want but that's the face that's out there.

The K2000 was well known as a great tool for R&B music but that title has since been taken by the Yamaha Motif. Put up something of a fight for christ sake. Since we've got the attention from someone at Kurzweil, why pull any punches.

Nobody know's who you guys are, which is why I use the "Ghost" analogy. You guys are there, but your not. Your presence is felt but your not seen. Become tangible.

Is my point clear now?

• Members

No, it's not. I think Dave made it very clear in that post that they are trying to overcome the hurdles caused by years of bankruptcy court as well as errors made by the previous administration (early 2000s). Why don't you give them some slack. So they're not Roland or Korg. With 16 employees, do you expect them to? Should small companies with big ambitions just give up, roll over and die?

• Members

Nobody know's who you guys are, which is why I use the "Ghost" analogy. You guys are there, but your not. Your presence is felt but your not seen. Become tangible.

Is my point clear now?

There are a few reasons why some products are not sold at GC and to a certain extent Sam Ash. If you can't meet there price point it's a no go. If you can't supply enough product to meet supply and demand it's a no go. If your company has shown to be unstable it's a no go. Now granted GC seems to be more open to working with smaller Pro Audio companies but, I think this is because they are trying to squeeze out smaller boutique companies. Moog and Kurzweil both meet some of these reasons to not be carried and I'm am sure there are other companies if I thought about it more.

• Members

No, it's not. I think Dave made it very clear in that post that they are trying to overcome the hurdles caused by years of bankruptcy court as well as errors made by the previous administration (early 2000s). Why don't you give them some slack. So they're not Roland or Korg. With 16 employees, do you expect them to? Should small companies with big ambitions just give up, roll over and die?

It doesn't take 10 years to pull yourself out from Bankruptcy. Moog Music has done the same thing and has just as many employees. Dave Smith has less.

I will not cut them any slack if this is what it takes to move them. I have several ideas but I'll save them for my employment after I finish college, but I will say this.....

1. Given your companies woes, kill your product lines with sequencers in them. Most folks use DAW's now.

2. Determine your most direct competitor, then develop and offer what they don't!

3. Become tangible.

4. Work on that image. Currently, there's nothing hip about you.

• Members

Grant_Wilson_in_Ghost_Hunters_TV_Series_

I''ll give them a call for some assistance.

The ghost now resides inside of the PC3's DSP engine.

[video=youtube;3IbArtRm2Iw]

But we might release a revised virtual analog board at some point.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy my own VA1, which is quite real (one of 10).

Dave Weiser

Kurzweil R&D

• Members

The ghost now resides inside of the PC3's DSP engine.

But we might release a revised virtual analog board at some point.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy my own VA1, which is quite real (one of 10).

Dave Weiser

Kurzweil R&D

I REALLY hope you do. Just remember to keep the great sound, pay close attention to the price point, make it hip, make it gig portable and space saving. This along with the hip factor will put you in the head of today's youth.

(Music theory is based on 4 octaves C to C) ;)

• Members

It doesn't take 10 years to pull yourself out from Bankruptcy. Moog Music has done the same thing and has just as many employees. Dave Smith has less.

I will not cut them any slack if this is what it takes to move them. I have several ideas but I'll save them for my employment after I finish college, but I will say this.....

1. Given your companies woes, kill your product lines with sequencers in them. Most folks use DAW's now.

2. Determine your most direct competitor, then develop and offer what they don't!

3. Become tangible.

4. Work on that image. Currently, there's nothing hip about you.

Hang in there, baby, I promise we've been working on it, with some pretty positive results.

There might be a misunderstanding.... we don't really have many woes now. 2005 was a different story.

Things have gotten much better all around in the last 5 years - sorry we didn't reach you.

But we're glad you found us here.

Pc3 sales have been excellent, and it got just about the best review that Keyboard mag has ever given out.

While the other manufacturers have been laying off, we've been hiring because business has been so good. We're a lean group that can move with more agility than the big guys. (One example - as PC3 owners here can attest - we've added dozens of new features over the past 2 years to the PC3 that were direct requests from customers. The big guys don't have the flexibility to be able to do things like that.)

Curious to know if the big 3 would eliminate the sequencers from the M3, Fantom and Motif.... We already have the code so it's not like we'll be spending R&D resources on any new sequencers - we'll just incorporate the existing one (fitted with newer and newer UI's) into products that call for sequencers.

While older acts like Roger Waters, Billy Joel, Paul McCartney, The Who and Andrew Lloyd Weber continue to use our gear, we recently have been reaching newer artists like The Bravery, Amanda Palmer and several big TV and film composers. Lots of session players and side men with big acts now use our gear as well.

This past year, there was a PC3 at the Emmys, at the White House (Earth Wind and Fire) and at the Superbowl (it was the only brand whose label was not covered).

We're on Facebook as well, but that's going to take some time to grow. We're adding about 100 fans per week.

http://www.facebook.com/kurzweilmusicsystems

We recently changed US distribution, which has been a huge help. Distributors, not manufacturers, tend to pay for advertising and marketing and AM&S is very strong in this area.

I'll be the first to concede that the ads and marketing from 3-4 years ago were absolutely awful. So we fired the old distributor and switched to AM&S.

They handle Nord, Allen&Heath, Focusrite, Studio Logic, and many others. Again, improving image takes time - AM&S has only just gotten started.

They've already added a good number of new Kurz dealers in the US.

We've still got a ways to go of course.

Shoot me an email if you're interested in at least checking out a PC3 - I can help locate one near you.

You might be surprised at what you hear.

davew@ycrdi.com

• Members

I disagree.
:cop:

I just finished the course Music Theory I in college. Starting Theory II next week. The music scales are set across 4 octaves. You can go longer, but your going to start to have a paper problem with your notation.

So if Kurzweil want's budding musicians who are learning to find this new product even more appealing, then C to C is my advice. Part of the reason the Nord Lead is so popular. :idea:

• Members

I REALLY hope you do. Just remember to keep the great sound, pay close attention to the price point, make it hip, make it gig portable and space saving. This along with the hip factor will put you in the head of today's youth.

(Music theory is based on 4 octaves C to C)
;)

If it were up to me, I would have us doing a virtual analog synth right now.

But the sales projections we get from distributors around the world have not been high enough to convince our upper management.

The biggest selling VA's on the market have a very, very small profit margin - in some cases none at all.

Some of the larger companies can afford to take that hit, but at this point we can't.

Still, we continue to research the topic. We recently acquired a MicroKorg and a Roland Gaia - both very cool little boards.

It's tough for us to manufacture pieces in that price range though, because our overall manufacturing is so much smaller in volume.

But we're not giving up.

One of the reasons for me being involved in these forums (HC, Sonikmatter, Musicplayer, etc.) is to closely watch what it is you guys like and don't like.

So please keep the input coming everyone.

• Members

Still, we continue to research the topic. We recently acquired a MicroKorg and a Roland Gaia - both very cool little boards.

oh my god oh my god-- REVERSE ENGINEERING!! :eek: CORPORATE ESPIONAGE!! Oooooooh, I'm gonna tell, I'm gonna tell!

(yes, I'm well aware that this is standard operating procedure... know your competition!)

• Members

Hang in there, baby, I promise we've been working on it, with some pretty positive results.

There might be a misunderstanding.... we don't really have many woes now. 2005 was a different story.

Things have gotten much better all around in the last 5 years - sorry we didn't reach you.

But we're glad you found us here.

Pc3 sales have been excellent, and it got just about the best review that Keyboard mag has ever given out.

While the other manufacturers have been laying off, we've been hiring because business has been so good. We're a lean group that can move with more agility than the big guys. (One example - as PC3 owners here can attest - we've added dozens of new features over the past 2 years to the PC3 that were direct requests from customers. The big guys don't have the flexibility to be able to do things like that.)

Curious to know if the big 3 would eliminate the sequencers from the M3, Fantom and Motif.... We already have the code so it's not like we'll be spending R&D resources on any new sequencers - we'll just incorporate the existing one (fitted with newer and newer UI's) into products that call for sequencers.

While older acts like Roger Waters, Billy Joel, Paul McCartney, The Who and Andrew Lloyd Weber continue to use our gear, we recently have been reaching newer artists like The Bravery, Amanda Palmer and several big TV and film composers. Lots of session players and side men with big acts now use our gear as well.

This past year, there was a PC3 at the Emmys, at the White House (Earth Wind and Fire) and at the Superbowl (it was the only brand whose label was not covered).

We're on Facebook as well, but that's going to take some time to grow. We're adding about 100 fans per week.

http://www.facebook.com/kurzweilmusicsystems

We recently changed US distribution, which has been a huge help. Distributors, not manufacturers, tend to pay for advertising and marketing and AM&S is very strong in this area.

I'll be the first to concede that the ads and marketing from 3-4 years ago were absolutely awful. So we fired the old distributor and switched to AM&S.

They handle Nord, Allen&Heath, Focusrite, Studio Logic, and many others. Again, improving image takes time - AM&S has only just gotten started.

They've already added a good number of new Kurz dealers in the US.

We've still got a ways to go of course.

Shoot me an email if you're interested in at least checking out a PC3 - I can help locate one near you.

You might be surprised at what you hear.

davew@ycrdi.com

I thank you very much for your response and I will e-mail you for a location to try out a PC3 in the Seattle area.

I appreciate the clarification and sincerely hope you come out with that VA to put to good use in dance music. I'll be sure to add you on Facebook.

:thu:

Is a full fledged rackmount PC3 in the works? (A nice, big screened 2RU-3RU rackmount version)

• Members

Is a full fledged rackmount PC3 in the works?

Lots of people on Sonik approved the idea of PC3K rack (so, with 128 MB of flash ROM for samples), but we'll just have to see if it ever happens.

I'd even might snatch it if it ever comes out, just because of one thing. 256 layers of polyphony!!! :eek:

• Members

oh my god oh my god-- REVERSE ENGINEERING!!
:eek:
CORPORATE ESPIONAGE!! Oooooooh, I'm gonna tell, I'm gonna tell!

:eek: Don't try that with Beh! If you reverse engineer a previously reverse engineered product you'll end up trapped in an endless temporal Mobuis loop from which there can be no escape!

• Members

Lots of people on Sonik approved the idea of PC3K rack (so, with 128 MB of flash ROM for samples), but we'll just have to see if it ever happens.

I'd even might snatch it if it ever comes out, just because of one thing. 256 layers of polyphony!!!
:eek:

I'd just like the sounds and VA1 in something that I can put in my roll rack and use with my MPC. I don't need any more sequencers. The M3 and MPC are dance approved. :thu:

Archived