Marshall 1987x or JTM45?

dmk

• Members

I'm really gassing for a single channel amp right now but i cant really decided between the 1987x or JTM45.

I know the 1987 is meant to be pretty much a lower watt SLP, plus an effects loop. And the JTM45 has no effects loop but a valve rectifier. That seems to be the technical difference, but whats the tonal difference?

cheers

• Members

Originally posted by BadRonald

Here's my take on it. I've never played a 1987X so I have no opinion of that amp. I'm sure it sounds great.
:cool:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1445109&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=1

its your fault i need one of these amps now :mad:

i love the sound of your jtm btw. so a jtm it may be!

• Members

Originally posted by atrox

The clip on that thread is actually my 1987 clone
;)

my bad. it does sound amazing though.

i wondering just how much better your clone sounds than a stock 1987x...

will the rectifier be whats making it sound 'bluesy'?

i can try both out at a nearby shop, but not at the sort of volumes that will show one amp to be 'better' than the other.

i say better, i mean more suited to what i'm looking for.

• Members

Originally posted by dmk

my bad. it does sound amazing though.

i wondering just how much better your clone sounds than a stock 1987x...

will the rectifier be whats making it sound 'bluesy'?

i can try both out at a nearby shop, but not at the sort of volumes that will show one amp to be 'better' than the other.

i say better, i mean more suited to what i'm looking for.

My 1987 clone is an exact Point to Point clone of an early 1987 with a couple volume mods that are out of the circuit when on 10. The reissues do sound different.

The JTM would sound bluesier because teh tube rectifier has more sag. Mine, like all 1987's, has a SS Rectifier. It will produce a slightly tighter sound.

• Members

Originally posted by dmk

heh. got any clips of your jtm45 yet?

does the gz34 really add a lot to the overall sound?

I don't have a good recording setup. I need to pick up one of those USB or Firewire recording interface thingy's. They're pretty cheap these days.

There is a great sag on the JTM45. Some may like it, some may not. I love it. It has a great bluesy tone to it.:cool:

• Members

I've owned JTM45's and love their cleans, and the breakup at about 8 is pretty nice. However, they benefit from clipping the bright cap and changing a few caps on the board to get rid of the flubby bass. We did this with mine and it made it a far nicer amp.

1987X is just like everyone else said, a total and complete rock machine. It also benefits greatly from removing the bright cap. I currently gig a 1987X clone and love it. With my LP, it goes from clean to scream with only a twist of my guitars volume knob. I use a hotplate with it at home and on some gigs, but I usually run the volume at about 5 and it's fully saturated at that point. The guy that built it for me also did a little magic to make it more aggressive than the typical plexi, but I refused the PPIMV mod as I didn't like the way it sounded on any plexi I've heard.

• Members

Originally posted by Luscious

I've owned JTM45's and love their cleans, and the breakup at about 8 is pretty nice. However, they benefit from clipping the bright cap and changing a few caps on the board to get rid of the flubby bass. We did this with mine and it made it a far nicer amp.

1987X is just like everyone else said, a total and complete rock machine. It also benefits greatly from removing the bright cap. I currently gig a 1987X clone and love it. With my LP, it goes from clean to scream with only a twist of my guitars volume knob. I use a hotplate with it at home and on some gigs, but I usually run the volume at about 5 and it's fully saturated at that point. The guy that built it for me also did a little magic to make it more aggressive than the typical plexi, but I refused the PPIMV mod as I didn't like the way it sounded on any plexi I've heard.

Which power tubes do you prefer with the JTM45? 5881's or KT66?:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by BadRonald

Which power tubes do you prefer with the JTM45? 5881's or KT66?
:cool:

KT66, but the current production KT66 tubes are shit for reliability. I've seen a valve arts shuguang take out an entire tube socket as it melted down.

NOS is the way to go, but you had better be willing to spend at least $400 for instant gratification.

I ran SED EL34's in mine with pretty good luck, but it had an extended bias range.:)

• Members

Originally posted by Luscious

KT66, but the current production KT66 tubes are shit for reliability. I've seen a valve arts shuguang take out an entire tube socket as it melted down.

NOS is the way to go, but you had better be willing to spend at least $400 for instant gratification.

I ran SED EL34's in mine with pretty good luck, but it had an extended bias range.
:)

If that's the case, I'll probably stick with the 5881's. It does sound very good as it is. If it ain't broke........:cool:

Archived