What is KARMA?

DukeOfBoom

• Members

Kay Algorithmic Realtime Music Architecture. It's a realtime system for generating and manipulating MIDI data based on pre-programmed patterns*. A good way to think of KARMA is that it lets you "play" a sequencer as if it were a proper musical instrument.

* Arpeggiators work in a similar, but simplified, fashion, thus leading some to refer to KARMA as an arp on steroids. But whereas arpeggiators only work with MIDI note data, KARMA can also drive or manipulate any parameter capable of receiving MIDI CC or SysEx messages. Also, the patterns that form the basis for KARMA Generated Effects can be far more complex than anything found on most arpeggiators, and the musician is offered a comprehensive array of options for manipulating the sequences in realtime.

• Members

LOL. Yamaha/Korg...

KARMA is an invention and creation of Steven Kay, initially licensed for and with various Korg keyboards, and now apparently being licensed to and used with certain Yamaha products as well. I think that at one time Mr. Kay was working with Open Labs as well.

• Members

it's a complex arpeggiator, it's for people who have no actual musical ideas and want to hold down 3 or 4 chords and then let the keyboard write the song for them...

(FLAMEEEEEEEE WARRRRRRR!!!!)

Or, it's a tool for broadening musical horizons beyond limitations previously imposed by certain equipment. :)

(And what would flaming you accomplish?) :wave:

• Members

it's a complex arpeggiator, it's for people who have no actual musical ideas and want to hold down 3 or 4 chords and then let the keyboard write the song for them...

(FLAMEEEEEEEE WARRRRRRR!!!!)

Hahahahaha! That would be a big, NOPE!!! It never ceases to amaze me how many people have no idea what KARMA is and does, yet still try to comment on it. So, if I listen to you, then all my work with KARMA technology developing "Combi Collections" emanated from a serious deprivation of ".... actual musical ideas..." and that all I wanted to do was, "...hold down 3 or 4 chords and then let the keyboard write the song..." OK, so I'm a musical flunky....NOT! There's a ton more involved. However, I will grant you that anyone with a smidgen of musical talent can really take off with KARMA technology. But, believe me, it's not at all about just pushing a chord trigger. KARMA can and does serve both ends of the the talent spectrum.

The following is just a small example. At the top of the player (linked below) is a "Select Channel & Media" window. After previewing a few of my Catalyst combis demoed by Stephen Kay, the inventor of KARMA, you can click on that window to go through as many examples as you have time for, then judge for yourself.

http://www.karma-lab.com/vp/klvp2.html?ch=cat1

If you are not impressed, that's fine. I don't give a {censored}; but please, don't try to dissuade others with your ignorance.

• Members

Here's Stephen Kay's recent (albeit rough) demo of his new KARMA technology for MOTIF XF/XS. Too bad the background ambiance is too intrusive. Anyway, it will give you an idea about this new development.

And here is an example of a show host chastising an unruly audience.

Stephen deserves a better showing than this. I'm sure Yamaha will post more appropriate videos to tease you. So, just stay tuned.

• Members

There are three significantly different versions of (Karma-Lab's) Karma. I have version 1, which is the only version available for Korg Karma and Korg Triton keyboards, and I use version 2 for my Korg M3. Karma version 3, coming out in April 2011 is for the Yamaha Motif XS and is the biggest overhaul so far with 8 tracks of arpeggios.

Some of the Karma arrangements are really nice. Especially the drum parts are very elaborate. Harmony-wise, the demos were recorded with some cool chords that you can see on the onscreen keyboard and copy. The problem is, Karma version 1 on the Mac side works only with the old, horrible Opcode MIDI driver on the Mac (instead of OSX's CoreMIDI). In my case, after working for 8 months, the Opcode MIDI connection suddenly decided to quit two weeks ago. So the software doesn't sense the Korg Triton being connected anymore, and it doesn't do a thing. Bye bye Karma 1.

Version 2 of Karma, written only for the Korg Oasys, M3 and M50 keyboards works great, uses CoreMIDI, and has a host of new features, such as 4 tracks of arpeggios. As with Karma 1, for the program to work you'll have to have it physically connected at all times to the keyboard. So, with a 88 key Korg, you are looking at a 80 lbs hardware dongle you must lug around EVERYWHERE you plan to use Karma. So the Karma software in its present form is just as much an incentive why not to buy the biggest Korg one otherwise would. I asked the author if the program will work with the Korg Oasys PCI card, the answer was no. It doesn't work with a MicroX, or anything else of manageable size either; it's strictly boat anchor class.

We started a thread about this on the Usenet newsgroups a few months ago about trying to capture a Korg's Active Sensing, etc. SysEx handshake to "fool" the Karma software with it into working even if you take it on the road on a laptop with the Korg left at home. As far as I know, the discussion did not lead to a solution.

The Karma arrangements are even nicer than Xphrase (which I also have) and very different from Band-In-A-Box (which I also have). Karma excels at the short term glossy arrangements, while Band-In-A-Box does the legwork of fleshing out an entire song, so an ideal rig would pump BIAB's MIDI out into Karma (loosing the BIAB "boom chick" rhytms on the way). However, even though Karma 1 gives you 12 or so different onscreen sliders and switches to tweak on the fly, my tweaking of those did not create a very perceptible result. Karma 2 is more versatile already, and Karma 3 promises to be the bomb. On the other hand, if you do mind the boat anchor dongle limitation, once you get a good Karma sequence going with the keyboard on, you capture the MIDI output in any garden variety sequencer, and from there on, you are free.

The Karma 1 software loads the same Korg Karma soundset into whatever Korg you are using it with for the sake of consistency. Karma 2 seems to work with the onboard patches already, it doesn't transform the M3 back to a Korg Karma. The main thing with all these Karma GEs, Yamaha arpeggios, that repeating them endlessly is a surefire sign of a lamer. So you'll have to learn how to add that musical periodicity and evolving aspect; this takes mastery. This being stated, Karma sequences are a wonderful treasure trove of musical ideas. If you use them well, you can create great music. If you keep holding the same 4 chords, you can create the lamest repetitive drone on this side of the universe, but hey, the same stands for an acoustic piano too. :lol:

• Members

I just purchased my first Korg product (M3). So far I have only used (and still use) Roland keyboards (XP30, X7) so I am completely unfamiliar with this technology.

If I understood the comments left by the expert users of KARMA, you can use the predefined arpeggios and simply enjoy the new dimensions of the chord progressions you are playing (if you are a newbie, like myself); but the power of KARMA can be really utilized by programming your own arpeggio structures and patterns.

So, from practical perspective

• Members

Thank you Citizen Klaus!!

It sounds like I have a lot to learn, but at least now I know it's possible. I know that it's unrealistic to think that I will be able to recreate every single sound from the record, but that is absolutely unnecessary - it's enough to have a few main sounds and effects covered, so 4 GEs for my purpose will be plenty.

N.

Archived