Roland set to unveil new workstation for 2012: Fantom AS

suitandtieguy

• Members

if Roland is going to release a workstation version of Jupiter-80 sound engine it's going to have to wait until sales cool ... (Or there's going to be a lot of Jupiter-80 owners bitching about how there's a new, "better" Jupiter available for about the same price ... )

Otherwise, this new workstation is going to have to cost roughly $5,000 since it would need to be positioned above Jupiter-80 if it's going to be adding a bunch of functionality ... and a "real" workstation needs more than four parts so it may require much more DSP ...

Unless of course, the next workstation is a severely cut-down version of Jupiter-80 sound engine ...

Maybe the workstation is dead, though ... How and when Roland responds will do much to answer this question ...

But my guess is we won't be seeing a workstation version for quite some time ... (Something at NAMM 2012 would be a major surprise imo ... )

• Members

if Roland is going to release a workstation version of Jupiter-80 sound engine they will wait until that synth's sales slow ... (Or there's going to be a lot of Jupiter-80 owners bitching about how there's a newer, "better" Jupiter available for about the same price ... ) Unless of course, sales ARE already cool ...

Otherwise, this new workstation is going to have to cost roughly $5,000 since it would need to be positioned above Jupiter-80 if it's going to be adding a bunch of functionality ... And a "real" workstation needs more than four parts so it may require much more DSP ...

Unless of course, the next Roland workstation is a severely cut-down version of Jupiter-80 sound engine ... (not really sure what they could take away that would actually save money or just face with irate Jupiter-80 owners ... )

Maybe the workstation is dead, though ... How and when Roland responds will do much to answer this question ...

But my guess is we won't be seeing a new Roland workstation version for quite some time ... (Something at NAMM 2012 would be a major surprise imo ... I think Roland is waiting to see how Kronos does ... Considering how many other products they make, I don't think they NEED their workstation sales, esp. if they conclude the market is too small for multiple players and esp. ones who blew a lot of customer goodwill with their last half-baked workstation -- that never reached a 2.0 status -- and expensive, proprietary card technology that's currently being unloaded at a fraction of the price ... )

• Members

Ummm, hasn't the concept of a VSTi based workstation already been done?

neko8fullshot.l.jpg

Are we saying that the entire concept has no legitimacy unless one of the big 3 have created one?

So there it is, but yes you're going to shell out a lot of $$$ in any case, to have your VSTi inside your keyboard case.

• 9 months later...

Archived