Need some help finding a better COMBO AMP, thanks!

guitardude24

• Members

Hey all,

I have an Ibanez SZ520 and a Roland Cube 30 as my rig right now. I downsized for college, getting rid of my JSX and 2x12 cab and a few guitars.

I've come to a dilema. I played a Fender Deluxe 900 in my colleges practice room and was floored by it. For under $500 it sounded a hole lot better than my cube 30. This made me realize how unhappy I was with my tone coming from the Roland amp, so i tweeked and never really found something great.

I'm planning on buying DiMarzio pickups (D-Sonic and Air Norton)for my axe if I don't get them for christmas to help tighten my guitar. I'm wondering if I should look at getting a different amp?

I've been getting really into writting music again and being in a band and recording myself in my room, so I want an amp that will sound great both live and recorded.

Here's an idea of what bands/styles I want to aim for...

Breaking Benjamin - I've been really into this band and I dig their rhythm guitar sounds.

Petrucci - The man, JP, influences the sound I want to achieve. I'm hoping that the pickup choices I made will help in that department, making my rhythms tighter and leads sing more.

I'm really getting into more radio friendly heavy rock bands...some of you guys might pass these bands off as Nu Metal or not like them, but I really dig the stuff from bands like Chevelle, Alter Bridge, Breaking Benjamin, Shinedown, etc...

I'm not sure if this Fender Deluxe 900 amp I played could handle the heavy tons I'm wanting...so what else can I look at? I want a small combo amp...like a 10 or 12 inch speaker and 30-100 watts-ish...preferably more like 50.

I've thought of the Mesa F-series but they are just too far out of my broke-ass-college-freshman-with-loans budget.

Any and all suggestions are welcome! So, name off some combo amps under $500 (new OR used) that I should check out and test!

Thanks in advance!

Archived