What should be done on a used tube amp?

Bassified

• Members

I'm starting to get really nice sounds from this Mesa Mark IIB. Now I can understand the rating on HC. It just needed to get tweaked and patience was really needed. The distortion is pretty crazy. So far, it's been consistent, if it can stay like that, that'd be wonderful. I probably won't trade it anymore unless someone offers something better, which is unlikely. I mean, for example, if someone offered a $1500 amp for a $1000 amp, I think you'd jump on it.

Anyways, keep it simple. I should get the pots cleaned right? What else should be done? And when you list what needs to be done on a vintage amp, can you list a rough price of how much it'll cost?

Info appreciated.

:)

• Members

When I got my first tube amp (JTM60), I took it to a highly recommended local amp tech (Jim Walton) who went through it, cleaned a few pots, replaced a few tubes, and fixed the pedal (bad cable). I think it came to about $135. Well worth it, since I had no idea what I was doing.

Almost any used amp, that you don't know the history of, I would recommend this.

• Members

Originally posted by mamberg

When I got my first tube amp (JTM60), I took it to a highly recommended local amp tech (Jim Walton) who went through it, cleaned a few pots, replaced a few tubes, and fixed the pedal (bad cable). I think it came to about $135. Well worth it, since I had no idea what I was doing.

Almost any used amp, that you don't know the history of, I would recommend this.

Yeah, I'm just not famaliar with 'highly recommended' techs. Maybe I can ask Long and McQuade.

I assume yours is $135usd, but I guess that's not too expensive considering tubes were changed. Were all tubes changed (both preamp and power)?

Archived