4x12 <$1000

DirtyBird

• Members

What are my options?

I'd do a search but UGH UGH UGH! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I've got a 5150, a Peavey Rockmater/Classic 120 combo and I will probably eventually have a single rectifier or some sort but it doesnt matter.

Just know that I want something for hard rock and metal, so it MUST sound good with heavily distorted, bass heavy tones.

Otherwise, Im at a loss.

Was thinking of getting a Marshall 1960 or a 5150 cab, but I can afford something nicer, is it really worth spending extra to get something else? But those Marshall cabs are SO expensive new... for that kinda new price, there has to be something nicer.

Of course, Megamark has recommended the Uberkab, but it's a little out of my price range.

Under a grand, shipped, please. :)

• Members

I'd buy something used but in good condition. Speakers will already be at least partially broken in which is good. For $1000 you can get pretty much anything you want. 5150, Mesa, Orange, Bogner, older Marshall would probably work real well for ya and be fairly easy to find locally.

hmmmm

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/msg/242855754.html
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/msg/242128222.html
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/msg/241413644.html
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/msg/241153521.html

• Members
Originally posted by azure and drkz

I always hear people say no shipping on cabs..Why?.....It's what like maybe $70 bucks at the most.
:freak:
Is it hard to to find a box for it?... Enquiring minds want to know.
:wave:

Yeah, unless you have the box it came in, it's very hard to find something to put them in. UPS absolutely ass rapes you for packing and shipping something that big too.

• Members

One will show up local, you have to wait and buy your time wisely.

That said you can do this for around $750....................

Splawn unloaded with your choice of tolex and grill - $400

Avatar for any speakers that you need. I have not paid over $650 for any any cab and I have a Diezel and Aiken, wait and save ;)

• Members
Originally posted by Megadeth7684

Yeah, unless you have the box it came in, it's very hard to find something to put them in. UPS absolutely ass rapes you for packing and shipping something that big too.

I went to the local music shop and grabbed an old Marshall HW box to ship my cabinet. Fit absolutely perfect.

Then I went to an office retail store ('Staples' for you Canadians) and bought 30 feet of bubble wrap and some styrofoam pellets for $10.

Cabs are so easy to ship. You wrap it up and put it on a truck.
People are just lazy.
:o

• Members
Originally posted by Megadeth7684

Ahhh..I see. Thanks Mega...Can you just beg for a cab box at the local music store like a panhandler?..Slip the GC guy a freshly folded George Washington?.. There's gotta be a way around it. :D:cool:

• Members
Originally posted by murdock

4 hrs and 43 mins is too far sorry

Heh, now you know why I never came and got it in the first place. :D

I found a red Mesa Custom 412... whatever that is... for $500 sorta locally.

I dont know if it's sold already or not though.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/msg/242128222.html

I dont know what particular model it is, though. Unless Custom is actually al ine of mesa cabs... And not an adjective for the color.

• Members

get a MOJO cab on fleabay for $350...unloaded . its as good as any bogner...and the joints are better too...bogner cabs have a bisquit corner..
MOJO has a fingered corner..much better...

if i had the cash thats what i would buy...( i do.).but i dont want another cab..unless it was uncovered..(raw)..

• Members

Check with all your local music shops for 4x12 cab boxes. Someone will have one sitting around.

You should be able to find a good used cab for way less that 1K. You can even buy a good new cab for less than that. Check out Carvin`s cabs. They have a couple of good cabs for well under you 1K price point. Boogie cabs are sweet, but I would go with a straight front traditional model if you want to cover a lot of bases, but want big bass. The over-sized cabs work really well with some amps, but can get lose and boomy with a lot of amps.

Eric

• Members

Originally posted by BAZGUITARMAN

Boogie cabs are sweet, but I would go with a straight front traditional model if you want to cover a lot of bases, but want big bass. The over-sized cabs work really well with some amps, but can get lose and boomy with a lot of amps.

What's wrong wit ha slant boogie?

• Members

Originally posted by DirtyBird

What's wrong wit ha slant boogie?

Oh, there`s absolutely nothing wrong with it. I should have said that`s my personal preference for heavy metal tone. I like the slant cab, but the straight front cab has slightly more internal volume and is a little more efficient at producing bass. I think it gives the best of both worlds in a 4x12 cab.

It`s not a huge difference though. Not like you would say "Man, this has tons more bass". It`s more a difference in feel and presence. The slant cab has plenty of bass for sure. If you prefer using a slant cab that`s what you should go with. It`s not that much of a difference really.

Eric

Archived