Just bought a Muse Receptor Pro 1 rev C... looking for soft synth ideas for live use.

wheresgrant3

• Members

With the Triton Extreme still in the shop (come on Korg!!!) and having to either 'buy' or return the borrowed Korg M3M I've been using for gigs I've decided to take the radical step and just move forward... or backward in this case, with a used Muse Receptor Pro 1 Rev C-2GB RAM, 750 GB HD for $650. I debated heavily over this but the guy who loaned me the M3M wanted $900 for it... additionally I'd have to spring at least another $300-500 for both the Radius card AND the memory expansion... and lastly the data wheel was already showing signs of wear (it would skip banks while scrolling) and the 6th trigger pad starting to flake. I felt guilty borrowing it while trying to wait out my Triton repair and ultimately felt that although the M3M is still a nice synth I'm not really spending $1200 to move forward (in a live situation it's not given me any significant advantage over the Triton) and well... it can't be racked (remember my previous rant?). The deal breaker was playing a small stage last month and having to put the M3M on a wooden side rail (after ripping apart my rack) because there was no room for a keyboard stand (I'm standing using an AX synth controller). I just decided it's just an accident waiting to happen!

I've been purusing many Receptor auctions all priced moderately in the $600-1000 range and came across a racked, studio unit that seems to have little use. It's running 1.7 version which I plan to upgrade to 1.8. If anything I figure it will give me an opportunity to reinvest in soft synths, with alot more flexibility over sounds and configuration. If I enjoy using it on stage, I'll retire this to the Studio and invest in a MuseBox. I just want to wait until they work the bugs out of that unit.

So now I am looking for affordable soft synth ideas. Again, live I'm playing with another keyboardist who is handling all the heavy lifting... we play mostly current top 40 and he's playing a majority of the synth backgrounds for popular songs... I'm mainly adding additional parts (counter melodies, lead lines, sound FX) for a thicker wall of sound. So I'm looking for a lot of modern sounding programming (dance electronica). One of the reasons why I loved the Tritron Extreme was it's aggressiveness with lead and thick synth patches. I could create enormous sounding combi's of saw/obi/rez layers. The bread and butter sounds of course suffered, but for the dance material we play I was totally in the pocket.

Any ideas on affordable sample/softsynths that would be great for creating multi's? Years ago I owned Absynth and Atmosphere's. I may plan to acquire both again (at least Omnispheres). FM8 is another possibility. Novation V-station is another recommended plug in on the Receptor. This is a grand experiment... but I'm only sacrificing $700 at this point. I have no plans to sell the Triton (although I would prefer not to gig with it) and if anything I'll skip over the M3 and jog right over to the Kronos. Shame after a month of playing with the M3 I just wasn't feeling it.

• Members

Rob Papen Albino 3. Great sounding plugin.. Anything by Native Instruments (synth-wise, the samples don't do much for me)

Thanks... I'm a big fan of Papen. Him and Eric Persing are probably my two favorite sound designers. I haven't checked Albino but I'll certainly look for it.

• Members

I just got a Receptor 2 with a 30 day trial of Albino 3. It's a really good sounding synth.(kinda pricey though $240.00)

I don't think the Legacy Collection is receptorized yet

$240? I think I was just at Papen's site and he had it for $179? http://www.robpapen.com/buy-albino3.html

As for the Legacy Collection, interesting but I wouldn't gig with it. I have no need for M1 sounds and there's nothing remotely Triton in that collection. I have a MicroX which I may keep on stage for a few patches I'm still married too (Analog 101, Noisy Stabber) and some combi's I've created. For bigger shows where I have the room I may bring the Extreme back out, but most of that will be to compliment the Receptor. I'm hoping that I find it's not even neccesary to do so.

We'll see... again this is just an experiement. It's one less case to bring and a lighter load overall. I'm learning to 'make do' for the sake of making my setup, load in, and the show all go much smoother. The other night our other keyboard player's Motif when out (thinking it's the power supply) and I gave him the M3M to finish the show and that's when things clicked: I had the MicroX on top, the AX Synth (as a controller for the MicroX) on a second tier and a Roland VP550 (I use for vocoding and other vocal effects) on the bottom tier all plugged into my Rack mixer and I'm thinking "why am I buying this M3M so it can take up more space on a stand and flail around at shows."

• Members

I'm assuming this unit doesn't have Komplete on it? A lot of them do. If you don't have Kontakt and want a cheaper way to play sampled instruments have a look at Wusik Station, very affordable, a huge library and no copy protection hassles.

OPX is an analog synth emulation that works great on the Receptor. I'm not sure if the newest OPX Pro II version is compatible with your Receptor, but Peter at Sonicprojects is always very helpful.

• Members

So now I am looking for affordable soft synth ideas. Again, live I'm playing with another keyboardist who is handling all the heavy lifting... we play mostly current top 40 and he's playing a majority of the synth backgrounds for popular songs... I'm mainly adding additional parts (counter melodies, lead lines, sound FX) for a thicker wall of sound. So I'm looking for a lot of modern sounding programming (dance electronica). One of the reasons why I loved the Tritron Extreme was it's aggressiveness with lead and thick synth patches. I could create enormous sounding combi's of saw/obi/rez layers. The bread and butter sounds of course suffered, but for the dance material we play I was totally in the pocket.

Any ideas on affordable sample/softsynths that would be great for creating multi's? Years ago I owned Absynth and Atmosphere's. I may plan to acquire both again (at least Omnispheres)

I'm a huge fan of Z3ta+ for these types of "aggresive" tones addditionally, it's very, very flexible for creating fat patches. You might also look at Rapture or Alchemy for texture.

I don't think of Omni as "affordable"

• 1 month later...
  • Members

First off - some of the included stuff is very good: DAHornet and Crystal for starters. A few others that I cannot think of right now.

I just went on a big tear and installed a whole bunch of free stuff. Go to the kvraudio site plug-in search page and do a search on plugins, choosing Receptor Compatibility is "Known to Work". You can narrow it down to stuff that is free as well.

I will be going through it all and will post back on what the coolest stuff was but a few stick out in my mind:

MiniMogueVA - *must have* mini-moog emulator

MrRay - incredibly detailed electric piano emulator

SFZ+ - sample playback, Paax is also good for this as well

Dream Sequencer and Motion - for patterns

Oatmeal, Karnage, Rez - more fat sounding synths

Galactix - good for pads IIRC

Synth1 - this deserves special mention - this synth is very straight forward, has an arpeggiator built in and sounds as good as almost anything out there - paid or not.

[video=youtube;L9Jqze04dVA]

I am sure there was a few more but I cannot think of them. Also you will want to go and find as many soundfonts as you can get your hands on for SFZ/Paax. You can google for that.

I've heard terrific things about OBX I'll look into it. ED I'll check into Zebra. {censored} I feel free already
;)
. We'll see how long this lasts!

The only ones I have paid for so far are OBX and Slayer and both are very good.

• Members

Zebra sounds very good and gives you all sorts of programming options. This may not matter so much on the muse but the cpu load is generally very low on my older laptop (though there are a few patches that are heavy).

I've used Atmosphere (now replaced by Omnisphere) and it is IMO a good bread-and-butter synth rompler for pads and leads. Because it's playing samples, the cpu load is very low; however, there is a delay when picking patches.

I've heard Omnisphere is an absolute monster but it is huge and I'd wonder if the receptor could handle it.

Doh! I just noticed you had owned Atmosphere :) I'll leave my post intact to showcase my lack of reading skills ;)

• Members

Zebra sounds very good and gives you all sorts of programming options. This may not matter so much on the muse but the cpu load is generally very low on my older laptop (though there are a few patches that are heavy).

Zebra loads on my Receptor but the GUI does not. I can switch to "raw" mode for editing but it is pretty ugly - I guess this might be workable if you could get your hands on a bunch of ready-made patches to download.

Archived