Need feedback on F-100 recording tone ... please?

snakum

• Members

I have been recording a bit with my home PC, crappy sound card and all. But now I have a new box, a new SM57, and will have a new card (0404) and mixer on the way soon, and I'm trying to nail a decent recorded tone for cleans, pushed cleans, crunch, neck single coil leads, and humbucker leads.

Could someone take a brief listen to the first two and last two clips and suggest where to go next. These four clips are about the best I can do with my current recording equipment, and I was curious how they stack up to guys with a lot more recording experience than I.

Do I need more mids ... more lows ... more reverb, etc.?

Thanks, in advance, for any help at all. :wave:

Tone tests with the F-100 and humbucker-bridge-equipped G&L Legacys

• Members

I think they both sound good and are very clear recordings. I like a little more bottom end on the clean personally, but what you've captured is nice. So, I don't think the recording equipment is limiting you. What kind of mic are you using?

It's cool how the Bad Monkey gives the pushed clean tone a different sound than the gain wound up on the clean channel. I don't think I could have identified the pushed clean as an F-series at all.

BTW, have you tried getting the same tones on the F-100 simply by turning up the gain on the clean channel? Likewise, Channel 2 with the gain turned down is a monster pushed clean tone that also may serve you well. I really enjoy flipping the channels around where channel 1 becomes my distortion sound (gain on 11) and channel 2 becomes my either clean or blusey tone with the gain down low (8:30) and my Strat's single coils. You'll notice that when dialing in a clean sound on channel 2, that the voicing is much more like a Tweed Bassman, compared to channel 1's Blackface character.

• Members

I initially tried using the second channel for a slightly driven clean tone, then hitting it with the Bad Monkus for crunch/lead. However, I found that setting up channel 1 as a sparkling Fender clean then hitting that with the Monkus set to a light OD and upped highs yielded a better 'SRV tone'. Seemed more dynamic. In the first clip, you can really tell the difference between the Legacy's fat tone and with the fat/mid boost pot rolled off. It goes from a cranked Strat to a cranked clean Tele with one roll of the knob. Pretty cool.

The last two clips (after all the old Bandit and Classic 30 clips) are the crunch and lead tones on the F-100's second channel using a humbucking bridge p'up. And again, using the Bad Monkus seemed to fatten them up.

I'm using a single Shure 57 to record, and found that the best position with the V30s was just slightly off-axis and close up to the speaker (2"-3"). And yes ... the Shure 57 gives a MUCH better sound than the old cheapo I was using last Winter. Night and day difference, even though I'm still using an onboard soundcard.

Got an Emu 0404 card and a mixer coming soon ... and perhaps a condensor mic to set up about head hight in front of the cab, in addition to the SM57 on the speaker.

Thanks for the info.

And 'Thanks!' to those who responded privately. Yes ... I'm finally getting the "rust knocked off" the old fingers. I gotta stop taking those long layoffs every couple years. :D

• Members
It is a combo right?

Mmmmm ... nope. :p

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm getting it ... slowly but surely.

The MXL990 is the condensor mic I'm looking at, maybe the set with the 993 included (it's cheap). Gotta get the sound card and board next, then go mic hunting. It's amazing what you can do nowadays with a cheap mic and a PC. :D

Archived