Why do rack preamps have fx loops?

DirtyBird

• Members

Just something that occured to me... seems kind of superfluous. My rockmaster has 5 fx loops... neat, but you cant even turn them off, they work with particular channels... So to me it seems like the only reason you'd have an fx loop on a rack setup, to turn off a massive number of fx at once, is no longer a good reason.

It's neat that you'd be able to put specific effects on each channel...

But not all preamps have that many fx loops... and in general, I dont really understand why you'd really have one? :confused:

• Members
Originally posted by DirtyBird

Just something that occured to me... seems kind of superfluous. My rockmaster has 5 fx loops... neat, but you cant even turn them off, they work with particular channels... So to me it seems like the only reason you'd have an fx loop on a rack setup, to turn off a massive number of fx at once, is no longer a good reason.

It's neat that you'd be able to put specific effects on each channel...

But not all preamps have that many fx loops... and in general, I dont really understand why you'd really have one?
:confused:

It's a cool idea, but that's an older piece (no disrespect) so the thinking is from another time with everything being in mono. If they reissued that today, they'd make it stereo. But it's still cool. It's a good sounding piece.

Today we have great effects boxes that do it all with programability so there's no need for seperate loops.

I have the Classic 120/120 that goes good with that amp. It's a beast for what it is; a simple stereo power amp.

C120120S.JPG

It looks a little dusty in this pic. Maybe I should clean it up a bit. :D

• Members
Originally posted by leadfootdriver

It's a cool idea, but that's an older piece (no disrespect) so the thinking is from another time with everything being in mono. If they reissued that today, they'd make it stereo. But it's still cool. It's a good sounding piece.

Today we have great effects boxes that do it all with programability so there's no need for seperate loops.

I have the Classic 120/120 that goes good with that amp. It's a beast for what it is; a simple stereo power amp.

C120120S.JPG

It looks a little dusty in this pic. Maybe I should clean it up a bit.
:D

What? How'd you know anything I have is mono? And what does that have to do with fx loops? :confused:

PeaveyClassic120c.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by DirtyBird

What? How'd you know anything I have is mono? And what does that have to do with fx loops?
:confused:

PeaveyClassic120c.jpg

I had a couple of Rockmasters, so I'm speaking in general terms. I know that piece is all mono. I had 1 for a backup rig, and used a 1 into 2-1/4" spliter out the back for the stereo amp.

Looks like you need a Rack Case brother. Maybe Santa will bring you 1. :D

• Members
Originally posted by leadfootdriver

I had a couple of Rockmasters, so I'm speaking in general terms. I know that piece is all mono. I had 1 for a backup rig, and used a 1 into 2-1/4" spliter out the back for the stereo amp.

Looks like you need a Rack Case brother. Maybe Santa will bring you 1.
:D

I already took care of that. ;)

I didnt know that {censored} would be THAT {censored}ing heavy. It's a damn 4 space rack and I wish it had wheels! :o:(

• Members

Originally posted by BillyCorgan

Volume adjustments + they usually sound better than running the effects in line.

When I ran a traditional rack set-up I always seemed to get the best results having the effects in-line. And this was with alot of different pre

Archived