Wolfmother/some Sabbath tone?

rememberduane

• Members

IMO you need just a simple setup to achieve this sound.

A humbucker equipped guitar (SG, LP, etc). you will need an old style tube amp (by this i mean single ended class A, no master volume). this could be a laney, marshall, or even a fender. Crank the volume, and play. that's it really. Maybe a boost for solos.

when i crank my deluxe reverb, i get very convincing sabbath tones.

Oh yeah, make sure you hit those strings hard :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by bluesboy

A humbucker equipped guitar (SG, LP, etc). you will need an old style tube amp (by this i mean single ended class A, no master volume). this could be a laney, marshall, or even a fender. Crank the volume, and play. that's it really. Maybe a boost for solos.

Oh yeah, make sure you hit those strings hard
:thu:

When did Marshal ever build a class A?

Didn't Sabbath use Orange ?

• Members

Oh yeah, make sure you hit those strings hard

... Except a DR sounds nothing like Sabbath (having owned one, and cranked it plenty), and not one of the amps you listed (Laney, Marshall, or Fender) were predominantly class A, if any (I can only think Champs and maybe Laney's take on an AC15).

I appreciate the help, but I do recommend learning a bit more about amps before trying to give "advice" like that.

To anybody else -- Am I wrong in thinking SG -> Plexi (?) with, say, a Dallas Rangemaster set to "full-range" boost in between?

• Members

Originally posted by rememberduane

... Except a DR sounds nothing like Sabbath (having owned one, and cranked it plenty), and not one of the amps you listed (Laney, Marshall, or Fender) were predominantly class A, if any (I can only think Champs and maybe Laney's take on an AC15).

I appreciate the help, but I do recommend learning a bit more about amps before trying to give "advice" like that.

To anybody else -- Am I wrong in thinking SG -> Plexi (?) with, say, a Dallas Rangemaster set to "full-range" boost in between?

sorry i didnt know you already knew it all :wave: my DR gives convincing sabbath tones

• Members

sorry i didnt know you already knew it all
:wave:
my DR gives convincing sabbath tones

It has nothing to do with me "knowing it all", it has to do with that being misinformation, and I feel bad for somebody who DOESN'T know enough to weed through stuff like that. :wave:

I'm not trying to be combative though, I really just recommend knowing what you're talking about before saying it. :thu:

And if you feel your DR gives you convincing Sabbath tones, then more power to you. I didn't think mine did, nor do I think that 6V6 breakup is respresentative of the "Sabbath" sound. But hey, YMMV.

• Members

Originally posted by telephant

Hell Ive heard DRRI do VERY convinving ZZ Top tones. If you can get ZZ tone with one, Sabbath is right around the corner.

In general I think he has the right idea though - Non Master Volume Amp, a boost, and a big muff.

They have the typical stoner tone.

True, I suppose you could get close. :thu:

Check your PMs ya dirty rotten Kid-Rock-looking mother. :mad::D

• Members

Hell Ive heard DRRI do VERY convinving ZZ Top tones. If you can get ZZ tone with one, Sabbath is right around the corner.

In general I think he has the right idea though - Non Master Volume Amp, a boost, and a big muff.

ok then... carry on :thu: I dont profess to know alot about amps, technical wise. that doesn't mean i cant trust my ears though. I gave you solid advice, even if I was wrong about single ended blah blah blah. this guy said the same thing as me and your like ok i believe you. Besides, I know for a fact that tony iommi uses SG's, laney heads, and an old dallas rangemaster treble booster. I guess if you cant find that yourself here or elsewhere on the net, you shouldn't talk to me about "knowledge" :D

• Members

ok then... carry on
I dont profess to know alot about amps, technical wise. that doesn't mean i cant trust my ears though. I gave you solid advice, even if I was wrong about single ended blah blah blah. this guy said the same thing as me and your like ok i believe you. Besides, I know for a fact that tony iommi uses SG's, laney heads, and an old dallas rangemaster treble booster. I guess if you cant find that yourself here or elsewhere on the net, you shouldn't talk to me about "knowledge"
:D

Dont feel too bad, Im retarded when it comes down to technical bull{censored}.

I play guitar, not build 'em. :mad::p

• Members

I don't really think ZZTop and Black Sabbath tones are all that close. The DR may be able to emulate the 59 bassman tone somewhat (not really, but for the sake of arguement) but the Orange tone is another monster all together.

• Members

Originally posted by Plague dog

I don't really think ZZTop and Black Sabbath tones are all that close. The DR may be able to emulate the 59 bassman tone somewhat (not really, but for the sake of arguement) but the Orange tone is another monster all together.

We will have to agree to disagree then. Because IMO they are not that far apart.

Tune down, hit it with a boost, and you can easily get convincing Sabbath or Wolfmother tones IMO.

• Members

Originally posted by savoldi

Jesus. NOBODY needs all that stuff. How the hell could you possibly keep track of it all?

I know.... and his tone's so simple as well, when does he use it all?

From listening to the album, all I can see he needs is an AB switch, a boost and a phaser :confused:

Archived