Why stem cells are important...

rememberduane

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Loghead

Echoes and his people (yes, a generalization) are into control. They want to control what others do with their own bodies, and they want to control the morality of others.

my people? :confused: ...I thought they all drank the kool-aid? hmmm,

I shall create another group of 'my people' and we shall have a colony of 'body controllers' so we can subjugate the world and abuse women's rights...and control 'other' moral things to be determined later.:thu:

Good idea! :idea: Thanks! I'll get right to work!

• Members

Originally posted by Echoes

didn't you mention not conflating the issue?

You seriously have no concept of reason. I didn't conflate the issue -- I used an example to point out that your idea of the problems with market mentality when applied to government is a blanket issue and using it tactically/selectively with ulterior motives is wrong.

• Members

Originally posted by rememberduane

You seriously have no concept of reason. I didn't conflate the issue -- I used an example to point out that your idea of the problems with market mentality when applied to government is a blanket issue and using it tactically/selectively with ulterior motives is wrong.

oh... I get it! when 'you' conflate the issue it is 'conceptual reasoning'...and when I use conceptual reasoning it is 'conflation' GOTCHA! :thu: ...my bad...:D

• Members

As a man I feel I have no right to tell a woman whether she can have an abortion, it's a personal choice and not one I think any woman takes lightly.

I also totally agree with stem cell research, science must move forward and the possibility of repairing spinal damage alone I believe negates any arguments over what is afterall a waste product.

If you disagree may I suggest 2 things:

- If you or a loved one were crippled in a car crash tomorrow, I bet your perspectives on research would change rapidly. So don't be a hypocrite.

- If you think science should stop then may I suggest you go back to living in a dark cave and eating your food raw :)

Just IMHO of course ;)

• Members

Originally posted by paulintheuk

As a man I feel I have no right to tell a woman whether she can have an abortion, it's a personal choice and not one I think any woman takes lightly.

I also totally agree with stem cell research, science must move forward and the possibility of repairing spinal damage alone I believe negates any arguments over what is afterall a waste product.

If you disagree may I suggest 2 things:

- If you or a loved one were crippled in a car crash tomorrow, I bet your perspectives on research would change rapidly. So don't be a hypocrite.

- If you think science should stop then may I suggest you go back to living in a dark cave and eating your food raw
:)

Just IMHO of course
;)

science should only 'stop' or, better, have a 'reflection toward accountability' when it is dealing with issues that transcend it's legal/moral/ethical boundaries. I mean, Dr. Frankenstein ran into the same troublesome issues back in his day..;) ...science should be accountable to the society in which it 'serves' and not some 'exciting and new venture' for the sake of discovery.

look to the 'slippery slope' (where science usually slips to, ie: nuclear energy becomes Atom bomb etc..) and the future. As a 'civilized' society we must step slowly and most carefully here.

• Members

science should only 'stop' or, better, have a 'reflection toward accountability' when it is dealing with issues that transcend it's legal/moral/ethical boundaries.

In theory, yes. However, the problem is that in today's globalized society, there really isn't anything with which science is involved that doesn't go against the ethics and beliefs of somebody somewhere. One would hope that accountability to one's self would be enough, although in many cases it is not.

Nuclear energy is an interesting analogy. However, nuclear technology was developed with the expressed intent to use it as a weapon, and as a side benefit its a pretty good source of electricity. I don't think the stem cell issue is similar. Stem cell research is being developed with the expressed intent of using it for medicinal research and therapies, with the side issue being it may be perverted into something else.

• Members

science should only 'stop' or, better, have a 'reflection toward accountability' when it is dealing with issues that transcend it's legal/moral/ethical boundaries. I mean, Dr. Frankenstein ran into the same troublesome issues back in his day..
;)
...science should be accountable to the society in which it 'serves' and not some 'exciting and new venture' for the sake of discovery.

look to the 'slippery slope' (where science usually slips to, ie: nuclear energy becomes Atom bomb etc..) and the future. As a 'civilized' society we must step slowly and most carefully here.

+1

I never meant to sound as if science shouldn't have responsibilities or be held responsible for its actions... Ethics must be maintained. However I don't think ethics is really the issue, it is just personal prejudices and ill-informed pre-conceptions.

Normally this can be attributable to religion in some bizarre way... Ie they claim that the bible is anti-abortion, however the bible also fails to mention the automobile... Does that make every car owner damned in perpetuity?

One sentence answer... People are weird.

• Members

science should only 'stop' or, better, have a 'reflection toward accountability' when it is dealing with issues that transcend it's legal/moral/ethical boundaries. I mean, Dr. Frankenstein ran into the same troublesome issues back in his day..
;)
...science should be accountable to the society in which it 'serves' and not some 'exciting and new venture' for the sake of discovery.

I 100% agree that we must step carefully. Lies, misinformation, and religious rhetoric only worsen the issue.

• Members

;)

Frankenstein is a great novel written by a woman about a man who thinks that he can atone the guilt he feels for the death of mother by giving birth to immortality.

Archived