Mesa F-series head+cab questions.

Bassified

• Members

I was thinking about an F-30 head with a 1x12 widebody cabinet.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/COMPACTcabs/WidebodyOB-1x12-LG.htm

It's a C90 speaker. I think the Mesa F-30 combo has a Vintage 30 speaker.

What differences would there be in the difference in speakers.

Also, if I were to go with Avatar's 2x12s. Would there be a volume difference? Since you have 2 speakers, does the F-30's 30watts split so that each speaker takes 15 watts? Does this reduce the volume or increase it slightly?

A few questions, advice appreciated.

• Members

Originally posted by Bassified

I was thinking about an F-30 head with a 1x12 widebody cabinet.

It's a C90 speaker. I think the Mesa F-30 combo has a Vintage 30 speaker.

What differences would there be in the difference in speakers.

Also, if I were to go with Avatar's 2x12s. Would there be a volume difference? Since you have 2 speakers, does the F-30's 30watts split so that each speaker takes 15 watts? Does this reduce the volume or increase it slightly?

A few questions, advice appreciated.

The C90 has less of a mid spike and a little more bass than the V30. Overall, the C90 is a more neutral speaker.

Depending on which speakers you choose for the Avatar 2x12 it could be louder or quieter than a single C90. Let's say you get my favorite combination of a Hellatone 60L and a Classic lead 80 in an Avatar 2x12. It should be a little louder than a single C90 half-back cab, and will have a ton more tight bass if you get a closed-back. If you play clean more than distortion, then a semi-open back may be better. Semi-open backs aren't as focused and let some of the highs go out the back which makes for a more 3D sound.

Yes, each speaker will get half the power in a 2x12. The F-30 is actually 22 W, so each speaker will get 11 W at rated distortion (~5% IIRC, which sounds clean). Most amplifiers can put out 185% of their rated power at full tilt, so the max each speaker would receive is ~20 W. So, if you get a cab rated for at least 40+ W, you'll be set.

• Members

Originally posted by hal9000

The C90 has less of a mid spike and a little more bass than the V30. Overall, the C90 is a more neutral speaker.

Depending on which speakers you choose for the Avatar 2x12 it could be louder or quieter than a single C90. Let's say you get my favorite combination of a Hellatone 60L and a Classic lead 80 in an Avatar 2x12. It should be a little louder than a single C90 half-back cab, and will have a ton more tight bass if you get a closed-back. If you play clean more than distortion, then a semi-open back may be better. Semi-open backs aren't as focused and let some of the highs go out the back which makes for a more 3D sound.

Yes, each speaker will get half the power in a 2x12. The F-30 is actually 22 W, so each speaker will get 11 W at rated distortion (~5% IIRC, which sounds clean). Most amplifiers can put out 185% of their rated power at full tilt, so the max each speaker would receive is ~20 W. So, if you get a cab rated for at least 40+ W, you'll be set.

Thanks for the information. My bad, I guess the Mesa F-30 is rated at 22 watts clean.

Does anyone have the pricing in Canada for the pricing for Mesa's 1x12 Widebody cabinet?

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_I...yOB-1x12-LG.htm

Archived