VH140C impedance

luke978

• Members

Like stated by cqc6,it shouldn't be a problem.Being as it's solid-state,the available power will be affected.The VH-140C puts out 90 watts rms each channel @ 4 ohm and 70 watts rms each channel at 8 ohm.By the looks of this sliding scale,you might see 40-50 watts rms each channel...but really just a guess on my part.

Ed

• Members

Originally posted by luke978

Is it safe to hook up a single 16ohm 2X12 cab to this amp? The head version being shipped to me, and I don't know if it has an impedance selector.

I just now noticed that you will be running the one 16 ohm cabinet.Can it be run at 8 ohm stereo?I'm not sure if just running one side will hurt the unused side,like it would on a tube amp.Maybe someone more in the know will chime in with the right answer.

Ed

• Members

The thing is the VH-140C has two power amps, so you really should be running some sort of stereo setup. Not only does this allow to have a load on both amps, but you can take advantage of the stereo chorus, which won't really work out of just one side.

I'd rewire the 16 ohm cab into stereo 8 ohms/side, so each power amp will have its own speaker.

• Members

Originally posted by MattACaster

I don't think you can have a 16ohm mono cab with 8 ohm speakers. You most likely have 16 ohm speakers.

Yes, you can. I wired them in series, on purpose.

I got a half price deal on the 8 ohm speakers. I had a B52 AT100 that had dual parallel output jacks, so I was planning to get another 2x12 cab and run both outputs.

If I would have wired the cab parallel, the load would have been 4 ohms. If I were to hook up 2 4ohm cabs parallel that, would have been a 2 ohm load. The B52 cannot handle less than a 4 ohm load.

All of that to save a buck.....what the hell is wrong with me????

• Members

Originally posted by luke978

Yes, you can. I wired them in series, on purpose.

I got a half price deal on the 8 ohm speakers. I had a B52 AT100 that had dual parallel output jacks, so I was planning to get another 2x12 cab and run both outputs.

If I would have wired the cab parallel, the load would have been 4 ohms. If I were to hook up 2 4ohm cabs parallel that, would have been a 2 ohm load. The B52 cannot handle less than a 4 ohm load.

All of that to save a buck.....what the hell is wrong with me????

Whoops, I misread. I thought it was a 4x12. :freak::)

Archived