Patch conversion between different synths

mididoc

• Members

Is there an online resource that can guide me in creating patches on my Radias that are based on patches from analog synths and soft-synth emulations (such as the MS20 or NI's Pro-53)?

I have heard many patches from my Radias library that seem to be VERY close to classic patches from MiniMoogs, Oberheims, Prophets and others. I would like to take some of my own favorite patches from the Pro-53 library as well as others and re-create them on the Radias. It seems that the architecture of the Radias is deep enough to support this, but perhaps I'm wrong. I know I won't nail all of the sounds exactly but I just want to get close.

Hopefully I will learn quite a bit about synthesis in the process. Anyone have suggestions or can help guide me through the process? Is there a site or resource that equates different parameters from different companies/models (such as TVF on Roland = on Radias).

I've searched with Google but didn't really find what I'm after. Perhaps I phrased the question wrong...

Thanks in advance and please be kind - although I've been playing for quite some time I'm a bit of a noob regarding synthesis itself. :facepalm:

• Members

It's kind of like searching for the Holy Grail or converting base metals into gold...

Problem #1: scaling of controls...linear? exponential? logarithmic?

Problem #2: range of modulators and maximum depth of modulation varies widely

The best path is to just read synthesis tutorials like the excellent Synth Secrets from Sound on Sound magazine (includes some examples of trying to make similar patches on different synths). Then reverse engineer the factory presets of patches you like and see how they were programmed. Sometimes it's less obvious than you'd expect.

• Members

Update: Well, I came upon this thread and I now believe that what I was seeking to do isn't really viable.

Now i understand why nobody has replied. EDIT - MF beat me to the post. Thank you!

I thought perhaps there was a "shortcut" way, but like most things in life there is no substitute for learning your craft. Thankfully there was a thread on GS that links to many synth programming tutorials. I'll dive into those and hopefully learn enough to be able to do this myself.

• Members

For vintage synths, many people used to use what I think they called patch sheets, which basically was a paper version of the interface and people would scribe down which setting the knob or dial was at. I think it'd be possible to recreate patches that way if you could find some. That would help you learn too..

• Members

For vintage synths, many people used to use what I think they called patch sheets, which basically was a paper version of the interface and people would scribe down which setting the knob or dial was at. I think it'd be possible to recreate patches that way if you could find some. That would help you learn too..

Thank you MS. Yes, I am familiar with that process - actually saw many of them back in the day, particularly in the back pages of user manuals when I worked in MI retail. I have also found numerous recreations online and could easily make my own for those that are MIA. I suspect that is the route I will take.

What I was really hoping for was a site that would compare the different parameters of popular analog and/or VA synths, maybe even noting whether the parameter ranges were exponential, logarithmic etc..

I realize that you can't make a 3-osc sound using a 2-osc synth but the Radias is deep enough to cover most ground that I am interested in me thinks.

Thanks again for the replies both of you - I really respect your knowledge and contributions to this forum!

Now I'm off to read some more tutorials...

Archived