Learning curves on the newer boards.

gpaaib

• Members

Hi Everyone,

Keeping in mind just how old school I am, (my last sequencing workstation was a Korg M1, hahaha) I was wondering which company offers the most user friendly (easy to figure out) workstation?

I've been in Guitar Center and toyed with the majors, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, but haven't even attempted to tap into any of them.

I really like some of the sounds I heard coming out of the Fantom G6, but don't want to spend the rest of my life learning my way around.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Gary

• Members

If you are looking at the G6 I assuming your budget is pretty healthy. What keyboards do you have and what kind of music do you play? What do you need the board to do?

There is a lot of stuff out at different price points and more things are coming soon. Most keyboards have some learning curve to them, but it depends on what you want the board to do now, soon, and down the road.

More info please......

• Members

From my experience, I'd say Kurzweil has the most difficult learning curve, followed by Roland Yamaha, and Korg, with Korg being the easiest. But each manufacturer seems to have their own idosyncracies, and since I also started with Korg, they seem easier to me. The same may prove true for you.

• Members

From my experience, I'd say Kurzweil has the most difficult learning curve, followed by Roland Yamaha, and Korg, with Korg being the easiest. But each manufacturer seems to have their own idosyncracies, and since I also started with Korg, they seem easier to me. The same may prove true for you.

+1

For me, Korg did a fantastic job utilizing their touch screen and menu layouts. I learned the ins and outs of programming on the Triton and everything since then is exactly the same. This is one of the reasons I use Korg gear. I have never depended on their manuals to program or manipulate the synth. In fact, I haven't opened a Korg manual since 1999 or 2000.

• Members

From my experience, I'd say Kurzweil has the most difficult learning curve, followed by Roland Yamaha, and Korg, with Korg being the easiest.

I agree with that as well. Of the four brands mentioned, I've used Kurzweil, Yamaha, and Korg keyboards the most over the last 15+ years, and Korg has the most user-friendly OS, especially with its touch screens (on higher-priced models).

Whether you're tweaking patches, creating a set list, saving/loading new sounds, or sequencing... Korg makes the most sense to me.

:thu:

• Members

I did not mention the PS60 because the guy was listening to the G6, big difference.

I didn't mind the Kurzweil PC series (owned a PC2X and played a PC1X many times). But the K-2661? The sequencer on that one was not fun tackling at all.

The Fantom G interface is not my favorite. I have no experience with the M3 and M50 as far as setup and sequencing. I hate Yamaha the worst. I have the most experience with mid level boards; they are what I am most familiar with.

Larger boards require more setup but then often sound more complex and have more split and layering options.

• Members

If you are looking at the G6 I assuming your budget is pretty healthy. What keyboards do you have and what kind of music do you play? What do you need the board to do?

There is a lot of stuff out at different price points and more things are coming soon. Most keyboards have some learning curve to them, but it depends on what you want the board to do now, soon, and down the road.

More info please......

Yes, something around the 2K mark. I won't be doing much live stuff, more composing than anything, but want a nice sounding finished product.

The only bummer with the Fantom G series is the fact that they discontinued the G7.

• Members

Well they did that for a reason. Maybe you should steer clear of the G it is a sinking ship with no one relief in sight (no OS updates no more ARX expansion cards). Good new is it will be slightly discounted soon if Roland follows protocol. Also the cards, which are more like mini synths, are a steal (down from $499.00 US. to $99.00 US.) Their new Flagship is the Jupiter 80 and it is not a workstation and, you guessed it, it has 76 keys.

I really think that the KORG M3 73 keys version or the Yamaha Motif XF 76 keys version is your better bet. The Yamaha will be over $2000.00 US. however.

If you can spend another grand and wait another 3 months or so Kronos will be here. Trust me it will be worth it. The only downside is the 73 key version has weighted keys. That may not be a downside unless you want semi-weighted synth style keys. Either way it looks to be a home composers/players dream. Not to shabby for live use either. It will be the best for a while, that is the easiest prediction I will make.

• Members

Learning curve on the new keyboards?

Leanring how to speak Russian would be easier than struggling through some of these "phone book size" instructions that come with these newer synths.

I've been out of music for a long time myself and have ammassed too much gear too quickly, and that's the problem. (I'm a greedy bastard when it comes to keyboards)

• Members

If you are not going to spend time learning any keyboard, then all of them will be frustrating.

Most have some form of Quick Start Guides, which is meant to help you get started.

Grab these off the net and have a look at them before going into the store to audition.

• Members

Yes, something around the 2K mark. I won't be doing much live stuff, more composing than anything, but want a nice sounding finished product.

The only bummer with the Fantom G series is the fact that they discontinued the G7.

You've been given a lot of good advice so far. Unfortunately any new workstation/keyboard will have a considerable learning curve. For composing you'd definitely want a workstation keyboard. Although a bit more than your 2k mark, my choices would be the (soon to be released) Korg Kronos OR Yamaha Motif XF. Both manufacturers have 3 different keyboard sizes to choose from. For piano weighted action the Yamaha is available with 88 keys, & Korg will have an 88 and 73 key weighted version. Non-weighted (synth action) is available in 61 or 76 keys from Yamaha, and 61 keys for the Kronos. Go to their websites and view the specs and watch demonstration videos and audio clips for both instruments. This will help you decide what you like sound wise etc.

IMO either choice between these keyboards would be excellent & you'd have high quality instrument and great sounds for years to come. Good luck with your selection!

Archived