Sorta OT: The mysteriously morphing patch

• Members

Last night I was chugging along on a new song, getting a nifty sound out of my PEK which I tweaked a little as I went along. Really pretty nifty I thought. It got late enough that I had to worry about annoying my neighbors so I switched off the monitors and put on my headphones. That sound was not nearly as awesome over headphones. Really sort of disappointing.

OK, so not exactly mysterious, but anyone ever program a sound that sounds good on one listening method/system but not on another? I'm sure it's due mostly to the fact that I'm in a new apartment where my setup is a little different acoustically and I'm still getting used to it. Actually this setup isn't so great acoustically, but neither was my last one, just in a different way. One main difference is that I've got my monitors farther out left and right than before, and I've noticed it kind of makes everything sound super-stereo and awesome. I guess I've just got to get used to it.

Anyway, it was weird, hearing how different it sounded on headphones.

/pointless thread

• Members

Oh yes. That has happened lots of times. Even with my best monitors and headphones (Adam P33A and Sennheiser HD650) it can happen (those headphones have not worked out very well for me, though. They're great for listening to music, but mixing stuff and even with patch programming... not so much. Maybe I have the wrong amp for them, they do need a kick ass amp to perform at their best).

• Members

This seems to happen to me constantly. Late at night I'll create patches with headphones, then they sound rubbish on my PA and vice versa. It also doesn't help that I create sounds before practicing with other musicians since I don't like forcing others to wait, so 90% of the time I end up needing to tweak things as I'm playing it live to sound better in a mix with other people.

Archived