Yay, new amp - Mesa Boogie Tremoverb!

DanielRaible

• Members

Actually, I received it a couple of weeks ago from 4nkam, but I have not had an opportunity to really play it until recently because I have been busy with this:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1489006

The amp safely traveled all the way here from Alaska due to Monty Jay's great packaging job! It sounds great, and I even prefer the cleans to the ones in the Heartbreaker. Blues mode on the modern channel is also really nice, and a nice surprise. Thanks again for a great transaction, Monty, and hope you had a nice birthday! Obligatory pic of the family:

dsc00320vc1.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by PRSKILLER

Sweet setup you got there. That Mesa Standard cab towers over the little Marshall cab. Is that Marshall a 4x10 or a 4x12?

:D

Its a 4x12 greenback cab! Maybe I can put it up on a block of wood so that it feels less intimidated.

:D

• Members

Originally posted by DanielRaible

Obligatory pic of the family:

dsc00320vc1.jpg

Beautiful! Nice setup you've got there, mang! How do you like the Heartbreaker for Marshall tones? And has it been modified and by who? (I see a little sticker above the power switch)

• Members

Originally posted by formisano

Beautiful! Nice setup you've got there, mang! How do you like the Heartbreaker for Marshall tones? And has it been modified and by who? (I see a little sticker above the power switch)

Good eye! I had the Heartbreaker modded by Voodoo Amps, for a type of "vintage high gain sound" on the second channel. He basically smoothed out the top end, tightened up the lows and allowed for more useable gain. I prefer it with EL-34's.

With the stock Heartbreaker, I never liked the second channel. I do like both the low and high gain modes of the first channel. I wish they had made the amp with two channel ones!

• Members

Originally posted by DanielRaible

Good eye! I had the Heartbreaker modded by Voodoo Amps, for a type of "vintage high gain sound" on the second channel. He basically smoothed out the top end, tightened up the lows and allowed for more useable gain. I prefer it with EL-34's.

With the stock Heartbreaker, I never liked the second channel. I do like both the low and high gain modes of the first channel. I wish they had made the amp with two channel ones!

Hey, thanks for the feedback. The Heartbreaker is on my short list. Do you mind me asking how much you spent on mods?

• Members

Originally posted by formisano

Hey, thanks for the feedback. The Heartbreaker is on my short list. Do you mind me asking how much you spent on mods?

I'm pretty sure it was $395.00, its been awhile. I wrote a review of the modded amp on HC here:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Voodoo+Amps/Mesa%2FBoogie+Heartbreaker+Head+Mod/10/1

• Members

Great amp. I have a first year head that looks like yours. I use two Mesa 2-12 cabinets that have the brown grillcloth like yours to match the head.

I had a Roadking (first series) for one night until I got it home and A/Bed it with the TOV. The TOV blew it away and had so much more umph.

The Roadking went back to guitar center and i got a MKIV widebody combo and DSL 100 for the $2700 I spent.

If you use a Les Paul into the vintage channel with T,B,M,G all straight up, you will get the identical tone from

"what's the frequency Kenneth" REM.

The modern channel with t-4, b-10, m-0 with reverb and spongy with tube rectifier is pure liquid sustain. the thing reminds me of my MKIII with sustain that just keeps going and effortless solos.

This is the "Plays itself" mode on the TOV.

On the clean cahnnel, put the gain all the way up, and it sounds identical to George Thorougood (Sp?) . This is the old Fender all the way up sound and i got ride of my early silverface Fender Deluxe reverb amp because this amp (TOV) copped the tone, plus it had another channel to switch to and more power.

By the way, Mesa has some tubes (6L6s) set aside for this amp if you ask. They don't have the same STR but they are closer than the ones they use in new amps.

You will love this amp..It is one of the few amps I could never part with.

Guy

Archived