5150 Owners/User

Panzerfoust

• Members
Originally posted by JerryP

Svetlana or TAD 6L6WGC-STR. I haven't tried the Tungsol 5881 yet, but I have a feeling they might sound pretty good too. The JJ's have been nothing been trouble in the 5150 for about a year now.

Jerry

Which would sound better in a 5150 the TAD 6L6WGC or TAD 6L6GC

• Members

Svetlana or TAD 6L6WGC-STR. I haven't tried the Tungsol 5881 yet, but I have a feeling they might sound pretty good too. The JJ's have been nothing been trouble in the 5150 for about a year now.

Jerry

Could you elaborate on that? Right now I'm running Tung Sols in the pre and JJ's in the power section. I'm on my 3rd set of JJ 6L6s this year ( change my tubes out a lot because I don't have a backup amp).

I've never ran into any problems with the JJ's?

• Members
Originally posted by SoCalMX70

Could you elaborate on that? Right now I'm running Tung Sols in the pre and JJ's in the power section. I'm on my 3rd set of JJ 6L6s in the past year ( change my tubes out a lot because I don't have a backup amp).

• Members

Could you elaborate on that? Right now I'm running Tung Sols in the pre and JJ's in the power section. I'm on my 3rd set of JJ 6L6s this year ( change my tubes out a lot because I don't have a backup amp).

3rd set in 8 days...jesus.

• Members

I still want to know what's wrong with the JJ's though... I've had no issues with any set of them...

If it's something that can blow my amp up maybe it's time I switch to something else to be safe.

I've been using JJ's in my5150 for ages (ever since I took the stock tubes out). I did notice a while back while re-tubing that the pins on the JJ's were smaller than they used to be, which was a bit of pain.

• Members

Jerry

Based on your recommendation Jerry, I just purchased some Svetlana's for my 6505+. I'll try out the TAD's next time.

• Members

Originally posted by satannica

JJ valves in the powerball are {censored}!!!

Sovtek for the power amp! Full stop!

And ENGL preamp valves.

ONLY valves for that amp!!!

D'ya know... I could have sworn that used to say powerball tubes. But I know it didn't. Sorry... seem to have wasted your time.

Well sod it I'm dislexic, the thread above it said powerball, the ballot was confusing... {censored} OFF!

• Members

I still want to know what's wrong with the JJ's though... I've had no issues with any set of them...

If it's something that can blow my amp up maybe it's time I switch to something else to be safe.

They aren't going to hurt your amp. They started using smaller pins on the bases and they have problems with poor connections causing noises and other weird {censored}. I stopped using them here due to the repeated problems I had. I've had several guys that emailed me telling they went with JJ's and experienced the same thing. I used them and used to love them. I find the Svetlana's to be in the same league as far as tone and I have no problems with them. The TAD are my favorites right now.

Jerry

• Members

I have JJs, but they are 3-4 years old now, so they dont have the new problems Jerry is speaking of. Ive never had a problem with the tone.

I did post this question a few months ago reguarding my Mark III, and everyone seemed to agree on SEDs in that amp over JJs.

• Members

They aren't going to hurt your amp. They started using smaller pins on the bases and they have problems with poor connections causing noises and other weird {censored}. I stopped using them here due to the repeated problems I had. I've had several guys that emailed me telling they went with JJ's and experienced the same thing. I used them and used to love them. I find the Svetlana's to be in the same league as far as tone and I have no problems with them. The TAD are my favorites right now.

Jerry

Could you explain the difference in tone between the JJ's and TAD's?

Sorry for giving you these questions... I'm just curious and I'm open to trying some different power amps tubes next time around...

Archived