Step up from Akai Miniak

nonis

• Members

I learned to play keyboards and stuff via softsynths, soundfonts, and a midi controller. I wanted to learn more about synthesis, and I also wanted a somewhat-portable synth for live performance (idk if I trust my laptop/software to be reliable...). So I bought an Akai Miniak.

While I definitely love a lot of the sounds this thing makes and the feel, there are two things that bug me significantly. The first is that I'm realizing that 37 keys isn't quite enough for me. But most importantly, I'm not a fan of the interface. Maybe if I were more experienced with synths, but as it is I don't really like scrolling through 50 pages on a tiny screen which is, for some reason, angled away from my point of view. =P

So, I'm wondering what people would suggest as a step up? I can spend about 500 dollars on either another synth keyboard or a module and a midi controller with more keys. Probably a used one. I just want something that sounds good but is easier to program than the Miniak!

Anyone have suggestions? I've been looking at the Waldorf Blofeld or maybe an Access Virus B? I've seen them go for 400 used I think... I've also looked at the MS2000 and the JP8000 but I've seen mixed reviews.

TL;DR Is there a better VA synth than Akai Miniak under 500?

• Members

If you like the sound and features of the MiniAK, you might want to try and find a used Alesis Ion. Same basic synth architecture, but with lots more knobs, more keys, and a display that gives more information.

• Members

Woah. The Venom actually looks really nice! Even if the best way to edit is software, that's better than no software. =P 400$? And it has an audio interface as well? I could sell my Lexicon Lambda and end up with a little extra cash.

Anyone have one of these and like it?

• Members

I like my SH-201, some people don't like it...

With about 500 dollars there's not much more that you can get that is knobby and sounds good. MS2000, Alesis Ion, JP-8000 (which is very similar to SH-201), and a Yamaha AN1x (though I don't know how you would like that interface, either...)

If you step it up a bit and go for the 500-800 dollar range, you have a lot more options in the used market... Korg Radias, Access Virus B, Novation Supernova 2, and Nord Leads can be had for that much... you should also be able to snatch a used V-Synth, though I don't know if that would fit what you are looking for.

You might also want to have a look at the Ensoniq ESQ-1 and SQ-80. They go for 200-400ish dollars depending on their shape, the SQ-80 is usually more than the ESQ-1. They're not knobby but their interface isn't difficult to grasp.

• Members

Another vote for the Maudio Venom. You can do most things on the keyboard itself rather then having to use puter interface. Fairly easy scrolling via the 6 section perf controller area. Wicked kewl Va synth for those who love modern and aggressive to mellow when needed. Lol.

• Members

MS-2000 if you don't mind only four notes polyphony. This is probably my favorite of all the budget synths, but four voices may not cut the mustard if you play a lot of chords. The mod sequencers make this a beast.

SH-201 if you want zero menu diving. You will have to remember weird button combinations though for some of the hidden features setting up MIDI. Good for retro Juno/Jupiter sounds.

JP-8000 or Alesis Ion if you want a synth that's built like a tank with more features, though these are typically a bit more expensive than the latter since they were considered high-end VA at the time.

GAIA only if you don't mind not being able to create split patches. Zero menu diving on this too and the effects are a plus.

• Members

you can polychain two MS-2000s for 8 notes polyphony. forget if it can be any pair of MS2k's or if it has to be a MS2k keyboard + a rack but they all go for so cheap and they're great, knobby synths.

I like the SH-201 and the JP too

Really like some of the Venom videos, have yet to play with one. Really like the way the UltraNova sounds but it's only 37 keys. Novation needs to make a 48 or 61 key version stat. The older Novation X-station is a bit plasticky in that Novation midi controller way (like the SL which is what it started life as) but its got a nice interface and a nice keyboard. The synth engine is basically the V-station VST or a K-station - kinda generic sound and doesn't sound nearly as good as the UltraNova but it might work.

• Members

+1 on the Venom, SH-201, and Gaia. I have not warmed up to the Gaia quite as much (37 keys is not my fav for a lead synth), but it sounds good from what I have heard and played. I am like CR I got a lot of goodness out of the SH-201. The patch user memory was it's downfall for me.

For poly VA's though the Nordlead 2X will always be my fav. However in this day and age a VA needs on board effects for "CONVENIENCE PURPOSES"; that is where a VA shines in my opinion.

• Members

Poly chaining to MS-2000s would be nice, but over the OP's budget. Nord Lead 2X is pretty expensive too, but damn does it sound good.

Patch storage on the SH-201 isn't much of an issue since it's infinite if you use the librarian software. Chances are, you're probably not going to need more than 32 patches on board for a single gig. If you do, we should probably start a band together :thu:

Archived