MIDI interface shows signal coming through, but laptop doesn't?

chu2

• Members

Hi guys,

I usually lurk on the guitar side of things, but I'm trying to hook up a midi controller with my laptop (Vista SP2) via a M-Audio midisport 1x1 to doodle around with some virtual instruments for fun. The drivers are all downloaded, and according to Device Manager, everything's functioning. I push keys on the keyboard, the interface lights up and says it's sending signal via usb Here's the rub:

No matter what program I'm running it in (Minihost, Reaper, MIDI-OX for diagnostics) there is no midi signal registering from the keyboard to the laptop. I've double- and triple- checked to make sure I've got everything configured right in the settings of all of these programs so that they're pulling MIDI signals from the midisport. I've made sure all my connections were ok, disabled the wavetable synth, reinstalled drivers, tried different USB ports, tried plugging in and opening programs in different orders, and I'm not even getting a blip.

The thing that boggles me is that my laptop is recognizing all the drivers and the actual interface itself, and the interface shows up in all the input and output settings of all the programs. It's like the MIDI signal is hitting a hidden wall somewhere inside my laptop.

I've got a Akai MPK Mini on the way to dink around with for fun, but it would be nice to have a full 61-key keyboard to work with...if I could get this running. Honestly, this is starting to turn into more of a "man vs machine" thing for me than just trying to get something running. Any help for a noob? Screenshots are doable if needed. I honestly have no idea what else to try. I'm so lost being away from the guitar>knobs>amp setup :facepalm:

• Members

If he's using MIDI OX (and has set its input device configuration to use his midisport), then it visually displays the incoming MIDI messages. He doesn't need to hear anything because he can see the data.

I'm going to assume that the OP properly did an analysis with MIDI OX. Therefore the problem is likely with his Midisport driver. First let me say that, just because a driver shows up ok in Device Manager doesn't mean that the driver will actually work. Sure, showing up ok in Dev Manager is a good first step, as it shows you there's no I/O address nor IRQ conflict with another device, and the driver's INF file properly specified what Windows needs to "register" the driver (ie, setup certain things in the registry so the driver is acknowledged as the proper type, for example a MIDI driver, or an audio driver, or a SCSI adapter driver, or whatever). But that doesn't mean that the driver works with the hardware. You could install a driver meant for a Yamaha device connected to a serial port, and it will show up fine in Device Manager. You can run a MIDI program and set it to use this driver, and it will do so fine. But if you attach some Yamaha keyboard to a USB port, that doesn't mean this yamaha serial driver is going to pick up midi data from the keyboard. It won't, even if some flashing light on the keyboard is screaming "Yes, I'm sending midi to your computer!". The driver has to support the hardware.

The Midisport needs to have firmware loaded into it when it's powered on. Otherwise the hardware does nothing and sits there looking dead. The Midisport driver (running on your computer) automatically loads that firmware into the MidiSport (over the USB cable) when you plug in the Midisport. The fact that you see the lights on the Midisport working suggests that firmware is loaded. But I also know that there were two production runs of the Midisport, and the firmware/driver may be a little different between them. I'd check if you really have the driver for your model. (I have the earlier Midisport, and I know there are at least XP 32-bit drivers for it, which should work for Vista 32-bit). BTW, you're not trying to use 32-bit drivers on a 64-bit OS, or vice versa? That would be a problem.

P.S. Do you have a MIDI sound module you can attach to your Midisport Midi Out? If so, do that and playback a MIDI file through that midi out. If playback works but midi input doesn't, I'd guess your midisport driver is sharing an IRQ with some other driver, and that other driver's interrupt handler is not properly written to share. In that case, try plugging the Midisport into a different USB slot, and/or disconnect other USB device to see if maybe the sharing stops and suddenly the midisport in works.

Archived