Just ordered a Novation Ultra Nova - great deal...

Karma1

• Members

I've been looking at these since they came out recently and it seems like just about every dealer is selling them for $700. I saw a B-stock demo model on ebay for $530 and checked it out. When I called the dealer in NY they said they have brand new ones for $550 (w/free shipping), so for an extra $20 I went for it and placed the order.

The dealer is www.ProAudioStar.com. I've never heard of them before or dealt with them but their ebay rating is extremely good. It's supposed to ship tomorrow, so I'll update here on how it all goes. But I wanted to pass this info along to anyone who might be considering getting one. Before I ordered this I checked with my local music store since it means a lot to me to support them whenever possible. They were willing to delete the amount of the sales tax, but still - $150 price difference was just too much to pass up. If it had been $50 or $75 I would have bought it here, but with cash being so tight, I had to go for the deal.

Anyway, hope to have a full review on the Ultra Nova in the coming weeks.

• Members

I bought an Alesis Akira from them. It was advertised as brand new but I think it was a demo because it had no manual and the box was beat to hell. Considering it was the only Akira I ever found anywhere for sale, I didn't really complain. One knob (of the X-Y-Z knobs) didn't respond properly. I called them and complained, and they got me an RMA and return sticker from Alesis and it was handled, so at least they made good.

• Members

I have wondered about that place. I always passed their deals up on Ebay because they appeared too good. Maybe they are just a clearing house for B-stock, demo, or NAMM show stuff that is 99% of the time near new. My Godin guitar was a B-stock item at our local Godin dealer (a Music-Go-Round store in Roseville, MN of all places) and as near as I could tell was perfect except some very slight scuffing in the finish - like from guitar picks and what would be normal use for a month or something and is often sold as new in other stores. They had several identically nice guitars, each having an upgraded Godin hard case instead of the normal Godin gig bag, and the theory was that Godin shipped them in from NAMM.

I checked MF and Nova and both have the UltraNova for $699. Perhaps they will price match?

More info - The Memorial Day sale email from MF just arrived and there is 15% for 700 to 3299.99 USD (as long as it is not excluded gear). I checked that Novation stuff is not excluded. So you could buy the UltraNova and one stupid item like the Novation sustain pedal ($5.99) to bring you up to $700 and get them both for $600.08. The discount at $699.99 is only %10 off so you have to buy the one extra stupid item... or maybe get something not so stupid.

• Members

I can vouch for ProAudioStar - I purchased two Kurzweil PC3K8s from them a few months ago when they were difficult to find anywhere other than Sweetwater at full M.A.P., both transactions went smoothly. I also responded to an ebay ad and was told that a new item could be had for slightly more than the "B-stock" price they had listed. I think this might be their way to get around restrictions on price advertising.

Archived