Ampeg VH140C!!! Its mine, finally!!

luke978

• Members

I used to run my gain at 10 but now i put it on 4 and use the metalzone and it gives it a little smoother more 3D sound i like. I see you guys keep your bass at 5 or over, i keep mine on 1 or 2 and boost with pq3 at about 100hz, it seems to clean up the low end and give it more thump at the same time, which some people not like, but it works awsome for the fast palm muting

I have a bad monkey, but I've always heard that boosting a SS amp makes unsesirable clipping, unlike a tube amp.

• Members

I still get a stiffy when I play mine.. I love it. I want to get a 4x12 cab though, but I really have no use for it since the 2x12 is overkill already.

I should be getting some schematics and parts lists soon so I'm going to see if I can track down some op-amps so I can make sure I have parts to fix this thing if it ever goes tits up. :thu:

• Members

How does this amp compare to the randall rg100es amp?

I have a randall rg100es and a century. The randalls need a boost to get into the ampeg gain territory, but when boosted they have a smoother high than the ampeg but less low end, and them ampeg is a bit louder. As long as you have a boost the randalls are in the same league. I have a crate gx130c that i like just as much as both of them, and alot of other people probally would too if they played it.

Image048.jpg

• Members

I have a randall rg100es and a century. The randalls need a boost to get into the ampeg gain territory, but when boosted they have a smoother high than the ampeg but less low end, and them ampeg is a bit louder. As long as you have a boost the randalls are in the same league. I have a crate gx130c that i like just as much as both of them, and alot of other people probally would too if they played it.

Image048.jpg

Thats badass man:thu:

• Members

Hey,

I own (2) of these as well. Both work fine, but the way I see it- why not have ALL the extra parts if needed. As prices go up on them, I am glad I own (2) of em. Besides for jacks going bad. Mine are running fine. I just got the jacks replaced.

• Members

Hey,

I own (2) of these as well. Both work fine, but the way I see it- why not have ALL the extra parts if needed. As prices go up on them, I am glad I own (2) of em. Besides for jacks going bad. Mine are running fine. I just got the jacks replaced.

Yeah, the input jack on mine is slightly loose. Still works but the cable can pop out pretty easily.

I swear you are my long lost twin brother or something. You own Ampeg VH140C's and are into GMS drums....there can't be too many people like that. If I had the extra scratch, I'd have a GMS kit in a heartbeat.

• Members

The Vh140-c takes to a boost just as well as any tube amp does. I dont know where people get the impression that boosting s.s. amps will sound like poo. When you boost a tube amp your not pushing the tubes harder, your giving it a harder signal, like the difference between a old vintage low output pickup vs a EMG-81. If somehow a boost pedal pushed your tubes harder it would be carying extra current through your INSTRUMENT cable and raising the ma on the tube.

Now when you boost a digital amp like a digitech or a pod its just going to sound nasty, I dont know why maybe because its not analog and it cant deal with to big of a signal level. I dunno

Now the Vh140-c defiantly has more than enof gain for any type of metal and cetrantly does not require a boost, but boosting it with different pedals will change your tone and feel, so you can experiment with different tones without buying a whole new amp. If you havent tried it yet the VH140-c has a truely excellent sounding effects loop so get yourself a good parametric eq or a good quality 31 band eq & stick it in the effects loop. You will be amazed and all the crazy tones you can come up with, w/ that great effects loop the VH140-c has.

• Members

Here is a clip:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=650023

Its my first clip. I won't make any excuses, it blows. :cry:

Path:

Agile-M3000 Dimarzo super distortion->AmpegVH140C->SS Cabs 2X12 W/Swampthang mic'ed->GLS audio ES57 mic->Zoom MRS8 recorder->Audacity for MP3 conversion.

Its single tracked.I have not eq'd it, compressed/mixed...etc. Its as raw as I can get it.

Fire away

• Members

Here is a clip:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=650023

Its my first clip. I won't make any excuses, it blows.
:cry:

Path:

Agile-M3000 Dimarzo super distortion->AmpegVH140C->SS Cabs 2X12 W/Swampthang mic'ed->GLS audio ES57 mic->Zoom MRS8 recorder->Audacity for MP3 conversion.

Its single tracked.I have not eq'd it, compressed/mixed...etc. Its as raw as I can get it.

Fire away

it's not that bad. It could be a ton worse.

Archived