1st Thoughts, H&K Switchblade

anthony

• Members

So I got me a switchblade 100w combo this morning. Basically an all tube amp with a few onboard effects so hopefully I wont have to lug the halfstack and all my goddam pedals out every other night. Nice amp overall, awsome tone and responds to picking nuances well. master volume gets too loud too fast. I'm using it for playing in a band and gigs so hopefully It'll always be loud anyway. the reverb and delay are great. the chorus, flange, and trem are decent but not quite as good as a good pedal. Also you can't turn them on and off you have to assign them to a channel and there they stay, can do it with another footswitch but I'm trying to do more with less. the distortion can get a little too brutal and isn't much different from 6-10. and 1-3 on the high gain channels sounds like you turned down the volume not the distortion. 3-6 sound awsome so far. Also a 2x12 doesn't have the same sound as a 4x12 cab, I'll see how it sounds in the mix with the band. I'm going to use it live at two practices and one gig next week and then I'll decide if it's a keeper.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So I got me a switchblade 100w combo this morning. Basically an all tube amp with a few onboard effects so hopefully I wont have to lug the halfstack and all my goddam pedals out every other night. Nice amp overall, awsome tone and responds to picking nuances well. master volume gets too loud too fast. I'm using it for playing in a band and gigs so hopefully It'll always be loud anyway. the reverb and delay are great. the chorus, flange, and trem are decent but not quite as good as a good pedal. Also you can't turn them on and off you have to assign them to a channel and there they stay, can do it with another footswitch but I'm trying to do more with less. the distortion can get a little too brutal and isn't much different from 6-10. and 1-3 on the high gain channels sounds like you turned down the volume not the distortion. 3-6 sound awsome so far. Also a 2x12 doesn't have the same sound as a 4x12 cab, I'll see how it sounds in the mix with the band. I'm going to use it live at two practices and one gig next week and then I'll decide if it's a keeper.

Wow! one of the first posts from someone who bought new gear and didn't just rave about it coming out of the gate...you have pointed out some good strong points...and some not so bad...weaknesses of the amp. Sounds pretty promising.

Good luck

• Members

what would you compare its voicing too?

I just came off playing a H&K triamp for 8 years. This small combo is similar in pick response and clarity. H&Ks may have a distinct grinding distortion, I've only played these two but have talked to others that use em. some like it some don't, it helped set me apart in the local scene, so it's know part of my sound. the clean isn't as bubbly and bellike as my triamp or say a fender 65reverb but it's not to far off. the gain channels are good but a little too modern sounding, too much fuzz. I rolled back the gain and turned up the midrange a little and I actually like it more than my triamp, jcm800, at this time.

• Members

another update. I gigged with it last night. Clean channel doesn't do it for me and the gains, although clear are a little too saturated. I want more of a crunch. I also plug the combo into a 4x12 cab and it still had the same sound. So obviously it must be the amp. I play in a trio so it's essential that my guitar tone is full. I'm really bummed, I wanted this amp to work out. A lot of nice features and ideas but it's back to the cords, effect pedals, and lugging the triamp halfstack around for me.

• Members

I may keep it. I've been adding a small bit of reverb and very short delay to the clean and it rounded out the tone a bit. I also turned the distortion down, like to 3 on the heavy channels and it's almost what a want. Still doesn't have the fullness that I feel from the triamp but I hate lugging equip. all the time. Hopefully with a little more tweaking and playing I can get confident playing the switchblade. I know everyone says that tone is in your fingers so I shouldn't be so picky, everyone else says it sounds fine? I'd like the switchblade to be my gigging dream rig, maybe, but I'm still a bit hesitant.

• Members

just curious...do you find most of the drawbacks to be what you'd typically expect with using a combo v.s. a halfstack or is it more than that?

i like that head version a lot, i don't care much for the combos...but i've never been big on combo amps anyhow

good luck with whatever you decide

• Members

just curious...do you find most of the drawbacks to be what you'd typically expect with using a combo v.s. a halfstack or is it more than that?

i like that head version a lot, i don't care much for the combos...but i've never been big on combo amps anyhow

good luck with whatever you decide

Drawbacks are probably a little of both. 4x12s usually disperse the sound better or something and the triamp is probably just a better amp but not as versitile. I think I just need to play, tweak, and get use to this new amp. Honestly I'm always very skeptical of everything at first.

• Members

to me it seemed pretty much plug and play, but i've never gigged out played one outside of a store

i've definitely got the head version on my list of amps i want tho...it could use a little refinement perhaps but the idea of a nice channel switching tube amp with some good digital FX could be HUGE if executed properly and priced decent

i definitely think this amp is a step in the right direction

• Members

I often notice that the tone I dial in when playin in the band is slightly different than my ideal by myself tone that I gave the amp when it arrived. When I gigged it, it was too bright, now I've juiced the bass and mids and dropped the presence and treble and it sounds a little more full but I'll have to test it out with the band this weekend.

• Members

I often notice that the tone I dial in when playin in the band is slightly different than my ideal by myself tone that I gave the amp when it arrived. When I gigged it, it was too bright, now I've juiced the bass and mids and dropped the presence and treble and it sounds a little more full but I'll have to test it out with the band this weekend.

Hello Anthony,

I appreciate your comments on the Switchblade. I play in an old fart cover band and this amp really has me interested in hearing one. I'm told that if your register with H&K, they'll send you a number of settings for particular sounds. Have you done that?

• Members

Get used to the amp interface. Gain can be set, but there are the other two volume controls including the global master. Amp was different for me at first but now it sounds awesome. I have the head version w/ Marshall cab.

Watch the presence control at Hi volumes. Start with it low, and then set it for the room you jam. Any amp will change a bit from one place to another.

Don't worry about changing and forgetting your references. Once you move a control you can set it back to it's original position. The "Orig Position" light will come on and remind you the last position you had on the amp and effect settings. When you are done press store.

I did this: I made my 4 main sounds. Each time I saved the preset bank one bank and then copy the same presets to the next bank. Then my amp sound doesn't change much and I have a better reference for effects if wanted.

• Members

I just go this amp as well. Haven't gigged it or really broken in the speakers yet, but have made some sounds I'm happy with....in my house. We'll see how it sounds with the band. I echo just about everything Anthony said about the clean channel, the effects, and how you need to add a little reverb and delay to your tones. The amp also seems to have a voice prominent in high mids.....I have most of my tones set with the mids below 12:00, but because of the voicing I think this will be enough to cut. We'll see.

Thanks for your suggestions HKSblade1......I'm going to try that. If you guys want to trade some patches, let's do it!

• Members

an amp on it's own sometime can be a totally different beast than how it is with a band

my cobra never sounds THAT great on it's own to me, it's ok but doesn't really impress me when i'm playing along...however with the band it sounds great, and that's what really matters for me

it's always hard to judge how an amp sounds till you try it there, and spend some time tweaking it over a few practices or gigs...most of the amps i've ended up selling sounded good on their own and not with the rest of the band

• Members

What kind of music are you playing Anthony?

Thanks!

Rock to Metal in a power trio. I notice a lot of other bands with two guitarists have one guy sounding too muddy by himself and the other a little too bright but together they sound great. My issue is whatever I play has to stand on it's own and fill the space. Someday I hope to have a keyboard player join on but to help add some texture.

• Members

Just changed strings and now this amp is cookin. The bottom end is there and the sound is full just like I want. I went up to a thicker gauge, I use to wanna be the 2nd coming up SRV and went lighter when I started doin a lot more aggressive metal stuff. Anyway I think I might be there. Although I doubt anyone wants to have to play 11-54s to make an amp sound right. I'm sure there are better amps out there able to make lighter strings sound full.

• Members

have you played the Trilogy too?

btw. you may laugh, but I'm thinking of getting 11-52s instead of 10-46s and I DO Rock/Metal Stuff in standard E-Tuning =)

If you like the sound of heavier strings go for it. I've always liked the bigger sound to a point, then they just get too bassy and I turn into a Jazz Dude, albiet a suck one. There are also those sets that are heavy bottoms light tops 10-52 that's what I was playing for the last half year up until today. But I also tune to Eb which makes it a little easier.

I haven't played the trilogy but heard it's a lot like a Triamp with only 3channels. I was on an amp quest for the last month and finally am starting to burn out. Played a Mesa LoneStar and liked the clean but distortion didn't do it. Then a Soldano, man the crunch was killer but the clean was lacking. Man too many amps and too little time.

• Members

what string gauge were you using before? i used to use 11-54's myself, but i got back into doing more lead stuff and just wasn't feeling it

i'm pretty happy now with 10-52's on most guitars

EDIT: nevermind i just read your post...i'm also tuned down a half step

do you use EB? that's what i usually use, but i recently got some of the DR dimebag sigs in that gauge...they're a bit bigger/brighter sounding at the same time

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

+1 on the cutting through

my preset sounds are organzd in groupings. both for live and for home jams. I don't set mine to steal the thunder from my other guitarist. mine is set to cut through with the band and a boost when it's my turn to solo. since we trade solos it's nice having distinct sounds from different rigs. his is more elab than mine with a rack and all bull but I like simple features over a big pedal board or rack and midi board hassle. He's always dialing in from one place to another and I just change the treble and presence to fit the room. we played a place that had a low ceil and carpeted floors. I bumped the delay level up a lil bit but he was fighting his rack for 45 min during s-check. maybe I'm not as particular??? at least he says so. but I don't fight my amp all the time any more :D

OMT- if I use my Fender strat just roll the tone control back on the guitar instead of dialing the amp all over. always did that with my Marshalls and I laugh when I see others fighting tone changes from HB to SC guitars

Archived