Forumite gig review: YourGuitarHero

rememberduane

• Members

So Craig (YourGuitarHero) gave me a call today to discuss when we might get together for a jam, as I was to try out his Matamp and he wanted to check out my Ceriatone, and he told me he had a gig tonight.

As a good forumite should, I figured that would be as good a place as any to meet him, and brought a couple friends out after we went to a hockey game.

Let me start by saying the guy before Craig's band (his band is called Longhorn by the way) was absolutely amazing -- kind of a cross between James Taylor and Damien Rice in my mind, with an absolutely amazing right hand technique and a killer voice.

Longhorn went on after him, which was quite a difference. We went from chill acoustic stuff to balls out heavy stonerish/metalish rock. I loved it. Craig was getting absolutely killer tones from a Tokai into a custom Matamp quarter-stack, and his band was really rocking out. Sadly there weren't that many people there, but I think Craig's band is still young, and I'm sure they'll get bigger gigs here in Edinburgh at least. They definitely deserve them. I have to say, as the only guitarist in his band, he fills enough sonic and musical space for two.

So basically, they had great energy and a great sound. It was a lot of fun. I had to go pretty soon after their set because the people I was with wanted to head to another pub, but I think Craig and I are getting together for a jam at his warehouse space tomorrow. I'll get some pics of both the amps and maybe bring my laptop and small recording setup for some clips, and definitely post some reviews.

Take care guys, just wanted to post about a good time and a fellow forumite rockin out.

• Members
Werd. Man Im really interested in Matamps. Sounds like an amp I would totally dig, as long as I can get it to clean up...
:D

He was definitely getting some killer clean tones on some interludes and stuff. I'll let you know more about it after I play it, and I'm sure you could ask Craig about it. :thu:

• Members
He was definitely getting some killer clean tones on some interludes and stuff. I'll let you know more about it after I play it, and I'm sure you could ask Craig about it.
:thu:

dude get on that clips thang. :idea: I wanna hear both the ceriatone and the matamp. Do it for me Chris. And do it, for your country.

FREE OBAMA.

• Members
dude get on that clips thang.
:idea:
I wanna hear both the ceriatone and the matamp. Do it for me Chris. And do it, for your country.

FREE OBAMA.

LMFAO -- are you drunk? :D

I will lay down teh clips tomorrow, whether Craig and I jam or not. I will just say {censored} my neighbors and turn that {censored} UP.

• Members

Hey Chris, thanks for coming down.

The gig was a pretty last minute one, we only found out on Friday, so we didn't really do much advertising. It was our first gig in Edinburgh, although we've been up north a bit. Well, first gig in a "real" venue - we've been doing sort of secret gigs in our warehouse. I'll give you a shout next time we do one!

The sound in there was good. I know the engineer - me and him used to engineer at another venue. He had Monster Magnet's Spine of God on when we arrived. Fuzzy!

I was happy with how the Matamp was sounding, it's perfect for that kind of music. That's why I love the 30W rating of the amp. That it was cranked to the max, and it just sits at the perfect volume level to fit the mix in the places we play.
When we were soundchecking as well, I noticed there was quite a big difference in sound between my Les Paul and the Flying V - the LP being much thicker, so I decided to go with that.

But yeah - the cleans on the Matamp are amazing. It's only a single channel amp, with a footswitchable gain boost, and I have it set to give the best dist. sound, which is having it on 4xEL34s and class A/B. But you can drop it to a single EL34 in class A and crank up the reverb - that's when you get great clean sounds. But you can't use that and the full bore distortion at the same time for live.
I'd like to get another OD pedal too. Using an SD-1, and it's a bit raspy. A ZVex Super Hard On would be great, especially if I picked up a Fuzz Factory too. I think I'm gonna investigate fuzz!

But, I'll give you a shout later, and thanks for coming down.

Oh yeah, for any other people reading, my band site is: www.meloveyoulonghorn.com - couple of MP3s up there.

Craig

Archived