Budda Superdrive II 80- How 'metal' can it get?

JnBroadbent

• Members

Nice amp but wouldn't be my first choice for metal. You'll need a gain boost at minimum.. For the same money you could pick up a VHT or an Engl which would be much better suited for those tones.

Well I might be getting it in a trade for my black macbook. Who knows, maybe I can sell that or trade it for something else down the line.

I can fiddle around with tubes/OD/EQ and see what happens.

• Members

from the clips I have heard....the SD80 does really nice 80's metal tone, with a boost...

the newer detuned stuff I wouldn't know...I don't think it would go there, but I really don't now.

I do know...the Budda has killer tone for sure, and I would love to play with it for a while....at the very least

• Members

from the clips I have heard....the SD80 does really nice 80's metal tone, with a boost...

the newer detuned stuff I wouldn't know...I don't think it would go there, but I really don't now.

I do know...the Budda has killer tone for sure, and I would love to play with it for a while....at the very least

I played a gig with one a couple of months ago. Everything from Judas Priest, Ozzy, Journey, to Iron Maiden, etc... We also did some Blues and Fusiony stuff and the amp sounded very nice. No boost, though I bet it would've handled it well. I didn't think it needed it, but... it sounded good. I bet some METAL guys who were thinking about sounding original instead of the "accepted" amps, would be able to make this amp work VERY nicely. Sounds to me like a hot rodded marsahllesque gain and tone stack, though I think a Marshall would cut through the mix better. It sounded more "modern Hi-Fi" than a Marshall.

• Members

I've played the SD80 many many times. It is not a shred/modern metal amp. It'll get you classic EVH type tone. It's like a warm plexi with more gain and bass. You want a Mesa Mk IV perhaps
:D

haha I don't think you've spent as much time as you claim with the SD80 (though I could be wrong).. It does modern metal with ease, and then some.

• Members

haha I don't think you've spent as much time as you claim with the SD80.. It does modern metal with ease, and then some.

Agreed that it'll do modern metal. :thu: Plug it into a 4x12 and use the right guitar and it definatley will do modern metal. :thu:

• Members

Agreed that it'll do modern metal.
:thu:
Plug it into a 4x12 and use the right guitar and it definatley will do modern metal.
:thu:

I used ratters Budda SD80 into my Ubkercab. Guitars used were a Schecter CET with an Air Zone or a BC Rich Mockingbird Archtop Supreme with a SD JB in the bridge. It's got a lot of gain but I just don't consider it a modern metal amp. For me the Uberschall, Mesa Mk series and DR series, 5150, Marshall JCM2000, Engl's, etc... those are modern metal amps

• Members

Well ratter might chime in on my behalf. What do you consider modern metal?

Lately with mine I've been using it to do an At The Gates, older In Flames type metal project without a boost.. It's not a crazy saturated metal amp but it has more than enough gain to to do all kinds of metal.

p.s. the guitar I'm using is an Orville LP with Dimarzio Steve's special in the bridge.

• Members

I used ratters Budda SD80 into my Ubkercab. Guitars used were a Schecter CET with an Air Zone or a BC Rich Mockingbird Archtop Supreme with a SD JB in the bridge. It's got a lot of gain but I just don't consider it a modern metal amp. For me the Uberschall, Mesa Mk series and DR series, 5150, Marshall JCM2000, Engl's, etc... those are modern metal amps

I agree, it isn't be my 1st choice but it'd do, was all I was saying.

For Modern metal it's a toss up:

Bogner Uberschall

Diezel Herbert

my Mesa/Boogie MKIII Coliseum Simul-Class

my Mojave Peacemaker w/ pedals gets wicked with a detuned guitar

• Members

I played a gig with one a couple of months ago. Everything from Judas Priest, Ozzy, Journey, to Iron Maiden, etc... We also did some Blues and Fusiony stuff and the amp sounded very nice. No boost, though I bet it would've handled it well. I didn't think it needed it, but... it sounded good. I bet some METAL guys who were thinking about sounding original instead of the "accepted" amps, would be able to make this amp work VERY nicely. Sounds to me like a hot rodded marsahllesque gain and tone stack, though I think a Marshall would cut through the mix better. It sounded more "modern Hi-Fi" than a Marshall.

This is what I want to hear. I really like to stray away from the typical stuff and see what else is out there. I love the sound of a more classic amp getting boosted and cranked with some shred behind it.

• Members

If it's the new version with Push/Pull "Mid" poti, it does metal when you pull it.

Otherwise it does EVH heaven.

Buddas are really fun to play. However I only tried a Superdrive II 18, not an 80. But the 80 is supposedly harder than the 18.

• Members

If it's the new version with Push/Pull "Mid" poti, it does metal when you pull it.

Otherwise it does EVH heaven.

Buddas are really fun to play. However I only tried a Superdrive II 18, not an 80. But the 80 is supposedly harder than the 18.

Yup, it's the mark II with the 'modern' pot.

Archived