Perfect Pitch

Bluesaholick

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

no.again your missing the point.Ive got 30+ years at this..and i can do the exact same thing..(to me music is more like math in my head..) and i not only can tell you what notes..i can see the postions in my head.not a big thing to do trust me..most of my friends have the same ability.but what you dont have is the abilty to beat a strobe..you cant and arnt able to hear like that does..no one is..i could hand you a guitar that is off a couple of 1/100 cents..and you would say its intune.( i would to )..but i wouldnt be able to tell you how much its off..its just not possible..if you owned a strobe and played with it enought..you would say the same thing.what you need to is understand what "perfect pitch" is..you can pick out a note..great..its not that big a deal...my High School teacher would do the same thing that your teacher did..actually you learn how to count notes if you get good enought at it..I did 100's of hours when i was kid copying material off of records , to learn the tunes ..and thats how i got good at my playing..were not talking about chops here.thats different..its not the ability to pick out notes..but to hear every note and be able to tell if your -perfectly- in tune..is different..and to me that is "perfect pitch"..

d-

Ummm...you sound kind of angry in response to my post about me having perfect pitch. I wasn't trying to brag or anything. I was trying to make a point that it doesn't necessarily make me a better guitar player than anyone else. I may know the notes, but I don't have the speed, agility, picking technique, etc to play like my heroes...but I can tell you what key they are playing in, as soon as they start playing. I can tell you the chord progression. I can tell you what to tune your guitar to,
I can tell you the individual notes that are being played
etc...all without my guitar in my hand and without any kind of tabs, so long as the song is played at a speed that my brain can register.

Sure, I can't tell you exactly how many cents a note is off...but wouldn't you need to study some sort of theory to know that? However, you can play me a sharp, a flat, a whole, etc, and I'll tell you what it is, without second guesses. That's not relative pitch.

Sometimes music is played inbetween the actual notes (i.e. early Van Halen), and I can hear that as well.

Bottom line: you play me an A#, and I will tell you it's A#, blindfolded, without my guitar.

Play me a Db, same thing.

Play me an F#min, same thing.

Play me a Bmin7, same thing.

But, as I said earlier, I am not a theory expert. I can't tell you the name of every single chord or scale known to man because I don't know all of the theoretical names. I can't tell you how many cents a note is off because I never learned the theory, and I don't care to.

Also, I never attempted to teach myself this. All I did was play around with a keyboard when I was waaayyyy younger. It had the names of the notes above the keys, and my brain made an instant connection.

When I was about 13, my music teacher informed me that I have perfect pitch, after he played a series of notes (on piano) for a room full of kids, and I told him every note he played. He was shocked, to say at the least, considering I knew jack {censored} about music back then. All I did was play around on a child's keyboard- I made no attempt to try to memorize what the notes sounded like. It was instant.

Sounds like perfect pitch to me.

I was mainly writing in the first place to respond to the original poster, and also someone that couldn't understand why perfect pitch would be useful for a guitar player.

Wouldn't being able to recognize all 12 notes, without effort, on a guitar be useful?

I am not better than any of you. In fact, I often hate the way I play, and wish I had the patience to be able to play faster, with more feeling, more creativity, etc. Perfect pitch is no substitute, but don't confuse it with relative pitch.

• Members

im sure in Ray's head it was easy..its like picking a needle out of haystack..he has nothing to look at and be a distraction..so his ear is better..and when you close your eyes your not thinking whats going on around you.he picks a refferece point (his piano) and then listens to everything around it..(if it sounds ok..then it is.).

One of my uncles played with Ray Charles, and told me a story years ago, about them doing a sound check and Ray had a whole orchestra behind him, and stopped in the middle of a song and pointed out 1 of many violinists and told her that one of her strings was out of tune, told her which one and he was right.

That is a SERIOUS ear!

• Members

after 20 years....you would think you would be smart enought to put some of your playing down on tape....i need a good laugh,so please.. post up.:p ..

After twenty sum years, it comes natural. I work in the studio a lot, so I can hear all the distinctions. Its been quite beneficial.
:thu:

• Members

..its not the ability to pick out notes..but to hear every note and be able to tell if your -perfectly- in tune..is different..and to me that is "perfect pitch"..

d-

OK, well I guess my teachers and fellow musicians must have been wrong about me all this time. I can't tell you if an A note is a few cents off from 440 because that's not the way I learned.

In fact, I didn't learn whatever it is I have. I was born with it. It wasn't memorization, since I have had this ability before I even knew or understood any music theory, let alone know how to play an instrument.

If instantly knowing what all 12 basic notes sound like without a reference instrument isn't perfect pitch then I don't know what is. If if its not perfect pitch, then I guess perfect pitch really is pretty useless.

So, considering you have the same exact ability I do, and that its nothing special, are you saying that you can listen to any song and instantly know that the song is in E, F, F#, G, Ab, A, A#, B, C, D, or D#? You can just go jam with people and instantly know the key they are playing in without looking or picking up an instrument? You can hear a sequence of notes and play them back on your guitar instantly after hearing them for the first time?

By a lot of people's definition, you have perfect pitch. I can understand people seeing perfect pitch as being able to tell exactly how many cents a note is off, but I don't see it that way. Maybe I should call what I have something else...I don't like "relative pitch". That makes it sounds like I am estimating or guessing what note is being played, which is false in my case. Maybe "instant pitch recognition" is better.

So, I guess I have I.P.R. Yeah, you heard right. I just made that one up. Use it, if you want since you seem to have it too.

Anyway, this is pointless arguing. Maybe we'll just end up having to agree to disagree.

• Members

Im required to keep myself anonymous on public message boards, its required by my record company. Sorry
:wave:

wow, you must not have a pair, because any self respecting musician who is 20 years in the business and still succesfull would be able to tell the RC to shove it.

• Members

well.let us know when you album comes out..so i can use it as a frisbee for my moms dog..and i would expect everyone in here should get a free copy..considering the amount of time you make us waste with you BS questions....seem like a good deal to me...:wave:

You'll understand when you have a record deal, junior
:wave:

• Members

i know what happens with me when i listen to something.I hear where the notes are being played (postion).I get a realtive idea of what the series of notes are..and then working out what key is different..thats not to tough and anyone who has done a decent amount of record copying can proably do this as well.I can hear horn lines easier then i can hear guitar lines.(go figure) and no i cant play back something -verbatim- when i hear it..(im def not that good.)..I can tell you what the postion is..What i tend to do is hear to much and i wind up with long exstenions of notes that sound like you would hear if you grabbed parts from all the instruments..(which makes it even tougher for me.).. I studied alot of Jazz when i was a kid (becasue thats all the teachers i went to taught) and i would try to grab all the notes i would hear on the records that i was learning from..made it really tough on me to try to translate that to my teachers who wanted to hear me comp behind on the changes..I dont have the technique to play like that...that took me a while to unlearn.im sure you can pick out notes.if you say so then i belive you..to me to able to tell if something is off by tiny-tiny increments..thats something else..(like the ablity to hear high pitches like a dog would)..thats what im getting at..the strobe can do that.and to me thats PP..

OK, well I guess my teachers and fellow musicians must have been wrong about me all this time. I can't tell you if an A note is a few cents off from 440 because that's not the way I learned.

In fact, I didn't learn whatever it is I have. I was born with it. It wasn't memorization, since I have had this ability before I even knew or understood any music theory, let alone know how to play an instrument.

If instantly knowing what all 12 basic notes sound like without a reference instrument isn't perfect pitch then I don't know what is. If if its not perfect pitch, then I guess perfect pitch really is pretty useless.

So, considering you have the same exact ability I do, and that its nothing special, are you saying that you can listen to any song and instantly know that the song is in E, F, F#, G, Ab, A, A#, B, C, D, or D#? You can just go jam with people and instantly know the key they are playing in without looking or picking up an instrument? You can hear a sequence of notes and play them back on your guitar instantly after hearing them for the first time?

By a lot of people's definition, you have perfect pitch. I can understand people seeing perfect pitch as being able to tell exactly how many cents a note is off, but I don't see it that way. Maybe I should call what I have something else...I don't like "relative pitch". That makes it sounds like I am estimating or guessing what note is being played, which is false in my case. Maybe "instant pitch recognition" is better.

So, I guess I have I.P.R. Yeah, you heard right. I just made that one up. Use it, if you want since you seem to have it too.

Anyway, this is pointless arguing. Maybe we'll just end up having to agree to disagree.

• Members

Do you mean
relative
like you are
guessing
?
:confused:

no..more like it would take me a few times to get the phrase right..

i cant sweep pick so thats out.( i do alittle, but nothing id mention)..

so on really fast passages i get alot of it..but not all of the notes.even if i broke it up in to pieces..i would proably try to grab to many notes with my ear..and it would be easier for me to voice it out on a piano then a guitar.

(thats how i hear things..).Vai used to do horn sections..how ill never know.i can hear single horn phrases easy..but muck them all together and its too much of a bitch to work out..i proably could..but i would only be 60-70% right...

Archived