What is the difference between Synth Vs. MIDI Controller? (Newbie Question)

• Members

Hey Guys.

I want to jump in the world of recording but I've been playing guitar all these years so I don't have a clue about what other instruments are like.

I want to get myself a keyboard instrument that can be used to both record the sound of piano and also key in some drum sounds.

As for now, I am confused about the difference between a synth and a MIDI controller.

Can synths also function as a MIDI controller? (Key in drum sounds and etc...)

And both of them also require an audio interface right?

• Members

And both of them also require an audio interface right?

Whatever you pick, if it has standard 5-pin MIDI ports, you'll need an adapter to connect it to a computer, or a MIDI cable to connect it directly to another MIDI device that has standard MIDI ports. If it has USB, you'll be able to connect it to a computer without an adapter (you just need an ordinary USB cable). Many keyboards have both. If you are looking at keyboards with only one or the other, it is better to have real MIDI ports than USB.

The need for an audio interface has nothing to do with your choice of keyboard... if you're trying to record on to a computer, yes, you need some way to get audio into it, but you'd need that to record your guitar playing too. There's nothing keyboard-specific about that. Though there are some audio interfaces that also function as USB-MIDI adapters.

Archived