How does the Marshall 30th anniv. 6100lm sound?

Soundstorm

• Members

This is obviously a simple matter of preference. But as Mike stated, in any situation where an immediate change is needed....you're {censored}ed. And for the record, Chudanez, I have several songs in my band where I go from drive to clean *immediately*....I used to play with the TSL. I was actually stuck with it for awhile....and I'd have to hit the switch a good second before the change came, and just deal with my drive ch. being sucked out for the moment. It really sucked, so I ended up having to stick with just the clean and using an overdrive pedal, which once again....sucked. But again, suffice to say this is all a matter of preference.

ALL of which make a case FOR the 6100, (as it has no switching lag time or volume changes when switching channels), like what you describe for a TSL. You are correct; that it is all a matter of preference. I hope this discussion will help with your decision.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just to clarify earlier the point made that it doesn't do 'brutal metal tones' well, I use this head almost exclusively in my black metal band and it certainly delivers the goods. I'll reiterate that it takes some time to fine-tune a sound, it certainly isn't a 'plug and play' amp. Nevertheless, it suits my purposes perfectly - I'm not really after a 'classic' Marshall sound and indeed, this would be less appropriate for my applications. This is a pretty modern-sounding amp and I can appreciate that those seeking classic sounds might find themselves disappointed.

• Members

Just to clarify earlier the point made that it doesn't do 'brutal metal tones' well, I use this head almost exclusively in my black metal band and it certainly delivers the goods. I'll reiterate that it takes some time to fine-tune a sound, it certainly isn't a 'plug and play' amp. Nevertheless, it suits my purposes perfectly - I'm not really after a 'classic' Marshall sound and indeed, this would be less appropriate for my applications. This is a pretty modern-sounding amp and I can appreciate that those seeking classic sounds might find themselves disappointed.

Is yours 6L6 or EL34 power section?

• Members
Are you insinuating that i don't know tone?
:D
The tones i like are in my sig - medium gain/hard rock is what i like. No effects, two tracks, panned hard left and right
:)

As for the different Power tubes, you may have a point there - the 6101 i had had 5881's in it (I have played it through 4x12 cabs, so that is not the issue
;)
) and it may well account for some of my feelings towards this amp.

I still say, that all those that claim it is the best Marshall ever made are full of it... *

A useful and versatile amp, but not a tone monster to my knowledge.

EDIT : * Anyone who claims that a single amp from any company is the "best ever made" is actually full of it
;)

I have heard from users of the 6L6 version that the EL34 version is prefered, only reason I mentioned it. Didn't mean to sound like a dick, sorry about that. :thu:

• Members
I know you're not referring to me but I have the 6L6 version with EL34s in it. I know strictly you should mod the screen resistors but I've had it 14 years and never burned a tube out. It came like this second hand and has always been rocking.

Did you put the EL34's in or did you get it that way? i am asking because if you put tem in it conforms that they are prefered in this amp by yet another user who's experienced both versions. I have only experienced the Blue versions w/ EL34's.

I LOVE mine too, they rock. :thu:

• Members
I know you're not referring to me but I have the 6L6 version with EL34s in it. I know strictly you should mod the screen resistors but I've had it 14 years and never burned a tube out. It came like this second hand and has always been rocking.

Did you put the EL34's in or did you get it that way? i am asking because if you put them in it conforms that they are prefered in this amp by yet another user who's experienced both versions. I have only experienced the Blue versions w/ EL34's.

I LOVE mine too, they rock. :thu:

Archived