Vibrolux owners - reducing hiss?

ylwledbetter68

• Members

Hey everybody-

I got a Custom Vibrolux Reverb amp about a month ago. I love it to death; the only thing that I don't like is the nonstop hissing. I know that I can't completely do away with the hiss, but are there any minor things I can do to reduce it? Are the stock tubes contributing to the hiss?

Thanks for any help!

-John

• Members

I used to have one. Great amp..........except that hiss!
I hung out over at the Fender forum and got the mods to fix that problem. You need to add a negative feedback loop. There are some other very simple changes as well.
And NO it did not change the tone of the amp at all. It still sounded fantastic and did not hiss nearly as much. Before the mod, it was unusable as a recording amp. Great live amp. After the mod, it was a great recording amp.

Oh yes, I did have the tech add an external bias pot as well. Great mod.
Good luck.:cool:

• Members
It's essentially a flaw in the design. In order to reduce the hiss, you have to change out some components, which changes the tone and response of the amp.

This is what I figured. Maybe I could use a THD Hotplate? The decription says there is built in noise reduction; and the hiss is obviously coming from the amp, not the speakers, so putting noise reduction (in the form of the hotplate) right before the speakers should help.. right? Are there any other known forms of (as there is no effects loop) noise reducers which would be placed after the speaker output?

• Members
I used to have one. Great amp..........except that hiss!

I hung out over at the Fender forum and got the mods to fix that problem. You need to add a negative feedback loop. There are some other very simple changes as well.

And NO it did not change the tone of the amp at all. It still sounded fantastic and did not hiss nearly as much. Before the mod, it was unusable as a recording amp. Great live amp. After the mod, it was a great recording amp.

Oh yes, I did have the tech add an external bias pot as well. Great mod.

Good luck.
:cool:

Ooh thanks for that info! I'll go check out the Fender forum.
Did you add the negative feedback loop yourself or did your tech do it too?

Archived