OT: I have a terrible cold, i couldnt go to practice...

bluesboy

• Members

this SUCKS. I've had a sore throat since monday night, and im all clogged up. Of course i cant miss any work because im teaching a class and really cant miss or it {censored}s alot of people. I just hope it goes away soon. Also I was too sick to go to practice, and i dont miss that unless im really hurting because i look forward to it all week. Anybody else sick? What remedies do you recommend? Gargling with salt water helps my throat, but not for long :cry:

• Members

There's really not much you can do. Just keep taking cold medicine and wait until it goes away. Always keep some cough drops handy to keep your throat moist.

yeah, ive been taking cough drops off and on, and they seem to help a little. but I really hate they way they taste... awful stuff.

• Members

Yeah im getting over the same {censored}, me and my wife and 4 other friends went to st johns in the virgin islands last week, she got sick as a dog the day we got there and slept the first night from like 3 in the afternoon til the next morning, i got sick of course at the end of the week, really ucky 2 days before we were leaving, im still yacking out the evil mucous from my throat and blowing the nose often. Yup gargling saltwater and since i have allergies i keep a can of sea salt(doesnt matter if its reg salt or not) on top of the shower rail, everytime i shower i put a pinch in my hand ad bit of shower water and snort, then i repeat bout 2 more times, dont blow it out, hold it in as long as you can til near the end of your shower, if you overdid the salt on a good snort start snorting straight water to chase it down LOL. This is what i do daily for several months, and its really been helping my sinuses, im surrounded by alot of funk doing what i do for a living raising lizards and insects. Also ive turned to be a fan of those Airshield/Airborne tablets that dissolve in water like alka seltzers, they are a high vitamin dose of important immune strengthening vits such as vits a c zinc and b vits as well as a good herbal concoction such as echinacea forsythia and some other stuff.

Another good concoction that may sound gross, but works well that i made up is to heat up a cup of hot water like you are making tea, then add a bit/splash of apple cider vinegar, tsp or so of honey to sweeten the sour of the vinegar, and then a pinch or so of cayenne pepper. If you mix it kinda right it actually tastes alright, the honey is a great natural antiseptic/antibiotic and coats the sore area, vinegar also kills serious bacteria(even streptococcus) and has other great properties, and cayenne is kick ass on sore throats(if you dont mind a hair of heat) it totally numbs the right spots unlike other hot peppers. I know this sounds crazy but you will be sipping away at this tea feeling better. Try and gargle before you swallow it, if nothing else find the jar of pickles and sip off that a bit. Zinc and vitC will really help increase your immunity.

Thats my health tip of the week
Scott

• Members

I also have been using this thing.. its called a netti pot or somethign liek that... i mix in some sea salt in warm water and flush it through my sinuses. it really helps, but only temporarily and i cant do that while im at work (well... i guess technically i could but i would feel weird doing it). as far the vinegar and pepper thing.. im almost ready to try just about anything.

Archived