Anyone played the arturia spark?

jcksn1234

• Members

I got some money I wanna blow and was looking into this. I have been kind of looking for a drum machine/ sampler for a while. I really like the idea of having a step sequencer and the pads on there being velocity sensitive. It also looks pretty simple to use and everything is right at your finger tips.

do you need a computer to use it or if it can be used stand alone? also would it work as a good midi controller for my virus kc?

also if anyone has any other ideas or better drum machines to blow the money on, that would be helpful. i was also looking into a chaos pad, a ni maschine, or a ds mofo.

• Members

It is a controller only for your computer and Arturia software. That being said it does look very cool and easier than some of the other choices, minus the KORG pieces. If you can afford it and if you prefer hardware, the Dave Smith Tempest looks pretty amazing!

• Members

yeah i have been checking on stuff since last night. the maschine also looks great. That can be used stand alone though it seems. How much is the tempest going for? I will check that out next.

The software for NI Maschine can be used stand-alone, but the hardware cannot. It's just a controller, albeit a very nice one.

I've been reading mixed reviews on the Spark. It looks like an interesting product, though with Maschine at about the same price point (and now with Maschine Mikro below it) Arturia might want to drop the price a bit.

In some ways, the Spark looks like the kind of product that would have come out BEFORE Maschine, not after.

• Members

The Tempest is advertised with a pre-order price of $1999 from NovaMusik, but they also say to call for a pre-order special which suggests that you can sign up for a lower price than that.

I have Maschine and Machinedrum hardware and am not really interested in Spark atm, though it does look like it has a certain charm. My main interest (I have said this before) in Tempest is that it appears to have what are essentially 6 mono-evolvers built into one box. There are some small difference like more envelopes and less LFOs but the envelopes are loopable. The DSI web page states that ability to use Tempest as a six voice polyphonic analog synth with midi keyboard will be provided in an OS update. However I like the idea that it has 6 independent voice outs. So you can do some really interesting stuff I think, either as a drum machine, a synth, or hybrid. So maybe at some point I will pick one up. If it were to be released tomorrow I wouldn't get it because I just can't make room for it in my budget. There are those annoying things like the property tax bill I just payed, new tires I just got on my car before the snow flies, and repair of my broken snow blower.

• Members

the tempest sounds interesting, but yeah the price tag is high for my needs. I am sure it is worth it though. how you like the maschine? you find it real user friendly? also does it have a bit crusher effect? I am starting to move toward it for some reason.

Archived