Tube recommendations for Laney GH50L

maiden_fan

• Members

My experience with Tung Sol with my Laney Vh100r were mix feelings. The sound was an improvement over EH and Sovtek LPS but I thought there was to much gain like the chinese 9th. I would suggest a good NOS tube for the V1. It will definiely be a difference maker. My suggestion would be either Brimar, Mullard, Amperex, RCA, RFT, to name a few as for production tubes. The EI Elite Gold sounds the best in terms of tone and gain.

Power tubes. Wing C SED, Chinese and actually the JJ KT77. I didn't care to the JJEL34L

• Members

I just bought the a retube kit from Eurotubes. I got the E34L's.

The amp sounds tighter, punchier, and definitely has more low bottom. I still have to cut a little on the treble. I have a Fender American strat, so I trim down on the brightness.

• Members

It has the some amount of gain when I changed from 6l6 to e34L, but it is more defined, so you can use more of it. I was using gain knob higher prior to the change and now im running drive on 10 and gain on about 5.

• Members

TAD's are good. I like the JJ's better.

i don't know about TAD's tubes in general from my observation they are like a ruby, groove tubes company that test tubes out carefully..weeding the bad ones out. From the TAD preamp tubes that came out of one of my vh100r...they are relabeled JJ ECC83 tubes.

• Members

i don't know about TAD's tubes in general from my observation they are like a ruby, groove tubes company that test tubes out carefully..weeding the bad ones out. From the TAD preamp tubes that came out of one of my vh100r...they are relabeled JJ ECC83 tubes.

Really? Wow did not know that. They definitely sound better than Mesa Boogie tubes(imo).

• Members

Just bought another one of these monsters.

Anyone got any recommendations for tubes?

I was thinking KT-77's and a mixture or Harma and Tungsol's for the pre amp

I wish I had a tube recommendation, but I don't really. I usually stick with JJ's as I like dark sounds, but again, that's just me.

I was wondering if you had any clips of the Laney? I've heard a lot about them, but I don't think I've heard one for myself.

Archived