midi help

freedlebeatle

• Members

so i just ordered a korg nanopad, because it was 30 bucks in the box and i figured what the hell. I have ABSOLUTELY NO midi trigger experience AT ALL, so please don't tear me apart on my silly questions.

1)do any of you have any reccomendations on free software to be using in conjunction with the nanopad? or any other tiggers for that matter?

2)I play bass in a band and if I were to use this in a live setting (obviously between/at the start or end of a song) I would want to run it through my amp. how the hell do i do this? I know the unit is just usb to my laptop, but from my laptop would i be wrong to get myself a 3.5mm female to 1/4" male jack and then just run an audio line from my laptop's headphone jack to the converter to my amp, or is there a better/simpler way to do this?

3)anyone have any input on the korg nano line? Im also looking into a nanokey and perhaps at some point if i can find a use for it the nanokontrol as well. which leads me into my next question, what would the nanokontrol be used for? I understand what it is, but as far as sampling/remixing goes i dont understand the application.

also, I don't have it yet, so i havent had a chance to play with or even look at it yet, and i'd like to have even the slightest idea of what im doing for when it shows up.

thanks!

• Members

Looks like the other forumites are being lazy today, so:

1) Hmm not really, but I'm not the soft-synth guru here. A pad controller pretty much calls for a drum synth or maybe a general sample player. I know there's lots of stuff along those lines, maybe someone else here can name some.

2) You wouldn't be wrong. :) Just beware that the headphone jack on your laptop will be a lot hotter than a guitar. However, the headphone jack will be stereo, so take just ONE side of that (usually the left) and run that to your amp. Don't try to just combine the left/right be connecting them together, it'll sound like crap.

3) Nanokontrol is good for situations where you have a synth running on your lappy and you want to map some of its parameters to an actual knob that you can turn, vs. having to tweak the synth via pointing and clicking with a mouse. That's really all they're for.

3)

Archived