ARGHGODFRIGGINDAMNIT tube help

Johnstinkpants

• Members

I wish I could have some positive input on these boards instead of always asking for help. Oh wellll

Basically I'm putting new power tubes in my valveking 212 but am encountering some problems. Is there any special way to do this? I took the old ones out and im trying to get the new ones in but the further I push the more the tube socket disappears into the amp while the actual tube pins are only about 2/3 of the way in the socket

It's driving me {censored}ing crazy, what am I doing wrong??

They are definitely the right size and type etc btw

• Members

I wish I could have some positive input on these boards instead of always asking for help. Oh wellll

Basically I'm puting new power tubes in my valveking 212 but am encountering some problems. Is there any special way to do this? I took the old ones out and im trying to get the new ones in but the further I push the more the tube socket disappears into the amp

It's driving me {censored}ing crazy, what am I doing wrong??

They are definitely the right size and type etc btw

Sounds like you may have broken something or something came loose. Do NOT try to seat the tube again until you or someone qualified can take a look inside the amp to find out what's going on. If those sockets are board mounted, you may be destroying the PCB while you're trying to force the tube in. Take it to a tech.

• Members

Sounds like you may have broken something or something came loose. Do NOT try to seat the tube again until you or someone qualified can take a look inside the amp to find out what's going on. If those sockets are board mounted, you may be destroying the PCB while you're trying to force the tube in. Take it to a tech.

You sure it's not just because its a cheapo amp? I was being extra careful and I'm sure I didn't push with enough vigour to break anything

I just reallllly can't afford to take it to a tech, I could barely afford the tubes themselves

• Members

You sure it's not just because its a cheapo amp? I was being extra careful and I'm sure I didn't push with enough vigour to break anything

I just reallllly can't afford to take it to a tech, I could barely afford the tubes themselves

It has nothing to do with it being a cheap amp. It sounds to me like you didn't line up the pins on the tube properly, and ended up trying to force them into the socket.

• Members

It has nothing to do with it being a cheap amp. It sounds to me like you didn't line up the pins on the tube properly, and ended up trying to force them into the socket.

I thought that at first but I double checked and I definitely lined them up right, it just felt from the off that there was no resistance coming from the socket, if you know what I mean...

• Members

There's precious little internal construction difference between that 'cheap' Peavey and many high end PCB amps. Take it to a tech. You've likely either damaged something or something came loose or both.

• Members

There's precious little internal construction difference between that 'cheap' Peavey and many high end PCB amps. Take it to a tech. You've likely either damaged something or something came loose or both.

Ah bollocks, I guess you're probably right. I'll have another tentative look at it before I take it to someone...

• Members

Either that or if you are mechanically inclined you can remove the chassis from the enclosure and see what's going on underneath. Sounds like the housing that you plug the tube into has come loose from the chassis. Usually they are held on by screws underneath. Should be a relatively easy fix unless something is broken.

Archived