Mesa F-50 vs. Dual Rec?

Thrice_removed

• Members

What are the actual differences between these amps? I mean I would think that generally the Dual Rec would be more aggressive, and the F-50 to have better cleans, but I know absolutely nothing about F-50's and no one around here has one that I can try out. Don't these amps sort of compete with each other? I mean based off of clips I have heard some F-50's get pretty aggressive, but it doesn't make sense to me that Mesa would make two amps that sound similar. Also for whatever reason the F-50s are cheaper. Can someone enlighten me?

• Members

people experiment w pedals eqs mics etc on the f series to make them sound like rectos... the recs are better sounding amps all around imo, although w a little dr.ing you can get some good stuff out of the f's... and w verb in the loop, rectos cleans can be great...

• Members

here's how i see it. If you want a recto, get a recto. that goes for everything.

the Fseries amps are neither recto nor mark but a little bit of both, that and some of the best cleans on an amp thats not labeled fender.

If you really want a recto, get a recto otherwise you will be disappointed. if you want a different amp, that sounds great with inspirations from recto and mark series amps get an fseries.

• Members

The dual is 100 watts, switchable to EL34's, 3 independent channels with 8 modes, a variac switch (bold/spongy) and a switchable rectifier...other than that I can't think of why they'd cost more :)

BTW- I have a Rectoverb and chose it easily over the F-50. It gets a lot more sounds than just Nu-metal.. (I play Classic rock, 80's hard rock)

The F-50's strength is the cleans...but it also does gain fairly well. The Rectoverb is the exact opposite

Sweet, I need to look into getting one then. I mean I love rectos and all, but I don't really feel like sounding like every other nu-metal band out there. Why is the F-50 cheaper though?

• Members

^Ah thank you, yeah I have a Marshall JCM 900 Dual reverb, and love the cleans but the distortion is not quite there, so I was wondering if the F-50 would also have great cleans but a better distortion than my JCM 900, because I can't afford to keep both the JCM and go buy a rectifier.

• Members

Sweet, I need to look into getting one then. I mean I love rectos and all, but I don't really feel like sounding like every other nu-metal band out there. Why is the F-50 cheaper though?

That's another mis-conception about Recto's -- they're association to Nu-Metal bands. There's a lot more tones in them than just the Modern High Gain setting, and depending on guitar, pickups, cab, etc you can dial them in for a variety of styles.

• Members

Oh yeah I am sure there is, it just so happens that every now and then I like to play a few Disturbed riffs, and when I do I do not want to sound exactly like Disturbed.

I also put this in the F series lounge

Hi Thrice_Removed. I have an F50, and I just bought a Dual Rec. I have had teh F50 for about two years, and the Dual Rec for about two weeks. They are very different amps. The Dual Rec being three channels with a total of eight modes can do just about any sound you could want. I will admit that the cleans are better on the F50, but I just put some JJ E34Ls in the Dual Rec. They run a bit hot, and it brings the dynamics almost to the same level as teh F50, but the F50 still wins in teh cleans department to my ears. The distortion channel is a completely different story if you are going for a metal sound the dual Rec walks all over the F50 in my opinion there are just so many options, and every one has a great sound. If you just play hard rock, and anything that is not over the top the F50 does a very good job. I find that the F50s EQ isn't as dramatic as the Rec so I had to run an EQ in the loop. With the Dual Rec it is pretty responsive.

That is my opinion but keep in mind that I haven't had the Dual Rec for too long, and I am running it with JJ E34Ls which change the sound dramatically. I don't really like the Dual Rec with the stock 6L6s. The E34Ls have a tighter low end that isn't as boomy, and the upper mids are richer, and come through better. If you can even try a Dual Rec, or single with EL34s that is pretty close to the E34Ls.

If you like the Marshall sound you might want to have a look at the Stilletto. I tried on the other day, and it is a very good sound very different from the Dual Rec, and the F50. It sounds like a higher gain, higher quality Marshall that has a reliable output transformer.

Main thing is to try to A/B the amps that you are interested in with your own guitar, and let your ears decide.

• Members

i think it would be safe to say that if you like the gain on your jcm900 that you would be happy with the gain from the F50, and even happier with the cleans. Not to say that they sound the same in the gain dept, but the quality of gain is on par. the recto is just a notch above both.

yes, i did mean that there is more flexibility with the dual recto. different bias, more channels, bold/spongy, and other goodness. Stuff that i won't normally use. the simplicity of the F50 is alot like the simplicity of older marshalls like the 900

• Members

well Mesa+PRS said it perfectly.... if you play MEtal you won't dig the F-50, it lacks "Tightness" BUT if you play Rock, Alternative, Hard Rock, and need a GREAT/AWESOME clean channel, then definitely an F-50 will rock your boat.

it's all a matter of choice really, try to A/B them..and trust your ears.

• Members

^^^ Thank you very much Mesa + PRS, that really helped clear things up. Oh, and yeah I usually play in the hard rock department, with about the heaviest I go up to being melodic metal. I never tune below drop C. Hm so it looks like the F-50 is a really viable option. I mean I would love a dual rec or a powerball, but I cannot currently afford either. I have tried finding mods for my JCM 900 to give it more gain, but have had no luck finding any suitable/good ones, so I am definitley gonna check out the F-50 and the Stilletto as well.

• Members

^^^ Thank you very much Mesa + PRS, that really helped clear things up. Oh, and yeah I usually play in the hard rock department, with about the heaviest I go up to being melodic metal. I never tune below drop C. Hm so it looks like the F-50 is a really viable option. I mean I would love a dual rec or a powerball, but I cannot currently afford either. I have tried finding mods for my JCM 900 to give it more gain, but have had no luck finding any suitable/good ones, so I am definitley gonna check out the F-50 and the Stilletto as well.

You might want to look at a Single Rectifier. It is another good option it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the Dual and Tripple have, but it is quite nice.

With your 900 have you tried a Zakk Wylde overdrive in front of it. I have heard a lot of good things about that pedal for in front of Marshalls.

Archived