Twin Reverb with gain pedal in front?

anthony

• Members

Definitely!

Not sure what you consider high gain, but I've used a variety of pedals in front of my Twin Reverb for distortion sounds--generally a tubescreamer circuit though.

The singer in one of my favorite bands, Superdrag, got great tones out of a Twin and various pedals.

• Members

Does anyone use a twin reverb with a pedal in front to achieve crunch/hi gain tones and how do they match up to say a good high gain head, Soldano or VHT?

While it will take pedals very nicely, that'd be like using a butter knife in place of a screwdriver. Twins are killer and LOUD. For Soldano or VHT tones, you'd be better off using a Soldano or a VHT. Otherwise, it'd be like getting Jimmy Page to play on your record and asking him to play like Van Halen.

• Members

I've used a tubescreamer in front of a twin reverb and gotten really nice hard rock tones out of it. More in the range of Queens of the Stoneage. I think that's what they're using now, actually (at least that's what was on their "Little Sister" video). For metal, I don't know. I'm sure you can get it to do metal, but i'd just buy a high gain head.

• Members

Another note:

For hard rock, I've used a variety of Fenders including the Twin Reverb, Blues Deluxe, Blues Deville, Hot Rod Deville, and the Cyber Deluxe.

Fenders with a pedal slamming the front end are just kickass for hard rock because they have a good snappy midrange punch that bites through the mix really well.

• Members

I used a bunch of pedals in front of mine( I owned the twin reverb and the twin amp).

Boss makes a OD-20 pedal which gives you alot of flexibility. Alos pick up a Krank Distortus maximus,, It rips with the twin man.

As said the twin sounds incredible with pedals. So clear and allows you to hear everything.

Great amps.

Dan

Archived