DW-8000 users, need troubleshooting

KingVidiot

• Members

I turned on my Korg DW-8000 after not using it for about a year. The lights came on, but

there was a horrible sound coming from the outputs when I pressed any key (even

some noise when I didn't). I loaded a clean set of patches in case of

corruption, but that didn't help. I followed the online tutorial for replacing

the old battery, and I loaded a clean set of patches. Same problem...

I only paid $200 for it a couple of years ago, but it was pretty cool and I would like to get it working again. I know service would cost more that it's worth currently, so does anyone one know a quick fix for this issue? The used ones are currently more expensive, and I have no idea if the same problem will happen to another one.

This is one reason I don't have too much stuff over 20 years old. :mad:

• Members

The battery is dead. It's a soldered-in CR2032. Buy a CR2032 socket and new battery at Radio Shack and you'll have it up in a few minutes if you can solder it yourself. You'll need to do a factory reset on it and load a bank of sounds when you're done.

• Members

I turned on my Korg DW-8000 after not using it for about a year. The lights came on, but

there was a horrible sound coming from the outputs when I pressed any key (even

some noise when I didn't). I loaded a clean set of patches in case of

corruption, but that didn't help. I followed the online tutorial for replacing

the old battery, and I loaded a clean set of patches. Same problem...

I only paid $200 for it a couple of years ago, but it was pretty cool and I would like to get it working again. I know service would cost more that it's worth currently, so does anyone one know a quick fix for this issue? The used ones are currently more expensive, and I have no idea if the same problem will happen to another one.

This is one reason I don't have too much stuff over 20 years old.
:mad:

Could just be a dirty volume pot. Give it a warm up exercise, take it round the block from zero to max (power all off) a good few times and also plug in the connectors a few times. Metal oxidizes pots go HR (High Resistance). These are just fundamentals to check before lifting the hood...

Give any other pots and switches a work out too. Again with mains disconnected to get her going again. Then power up.. any luck a major improvement...

• Members

I did the reset after the battery was changed and then reloaded the patches. Maybe it is just mechanical now. If not I'm stuck since the repair is probably worth more than the unit itself. I could always sell it to someone for parts.

What do you guys think of the ex-8000? I heard it doesn't have the arp and it's missing the cool joystick of course.

• Members

I did the reset after the battery was changed and then reloaded the patches. Maybe it is just mechanical now. If not I'm stuck since the repair is probably worth more than the unit itself. I could always sell it to someone for parts.

What do you guys think of the ex-8000? I heard it doesn't have the arp and it's missing the cool joystick of course.

McHale is expert on this old KORG gear so a question for him.

Generically speaking, I have saved some electronic stuff from the trash can by soldering dry joints. A last resort on dead gear that is about to be binned. I doubt these synths get hot enough to have that type of issue so keep trying and asking those that own one.. You may find a friendly repair shop that knows what the issue is and they may willing to guide you..

• Members

Thanks, I'll have to post a recording of the output.

Yep, Joysticks was a classic cheesy T&A movie from my youth. The name seemed appropriate since I work a lot with video, and used to play a lot of games.

My avatar is from the classic conspiracy theory cyborg game Deus Ex. These days the plot seems less far fetched than when the game came out.

Archived