EMG-81 VS EMG-85, which one is better for drop tuning??

Red&Die

• Members

Most of my ESP guitars come with EMG-81/81 and EMG-81/60, I would like to try the EMG-85 for bridge postion. However, I set most my guitar as Drop C, so would EMG-85 is better than EMG-81 for this setting?? I want to get more punch and clear riff note....

• Members

Most of my ESP guitars come with EMG-81/81 and EMG-81/60, I would like to try the EMG-85 for bridge postion. However, I set most my guitar as Drop C, so would EMG-85 is better than EMG-81 for this setting?? I want to get more punch and clear riff note....

81 by far. The 85 gets pretty bassy/flappy IMO.

• Members

I play in drop C. I prefer the 85. I find it gives a much fuller sound. Since the 85 has more mids and not as scooped, I can control my tone alot more with my amp. Clarity is paramount for me in my band and I get tons with my 85. I find the 81 to sound hollow and doesn't really give my as much control over my tone with my amp. Never had bass problems with my 85 either, and I use it with a Mesa Single Rectifier through a Mesa cab.

HOWEVER....I use my 85 in the bridge on an EC300. Its not the heaviest guitar, and I can see an 85 getting overly bassy with in a heavy Les Paul guitar. However its nothing a simple filter couldn't dial out. In fact I've designed some on board filters for just that application.

• Members

I use to have an EC1000 with the 81/85 combo. When I played through a Triple Rectifier in B tuning, that amp screamed at me. I don't recall ever playing another amp that really made those EMGs just sound awesome! Specifically the 81 in B tuning. I felt bad that day because this little old grandma came into that music store and I didn't notice (my buddy and I were discussing how amazing the amp sounded) and she walked right behind me as I let out a very, very loud chord. The poor lady had a hearing aid and she screamed when I hit that chord. Needless to say I stopped playing after that. :( Ahhhhhh, memories! Anyway I still am voting for the 81, the 85 sounded very bassy and flabby with my Fireball in B tuning.

Cole

• Members

its not really scooped, just not as thick sounding as an 85, imo

From what I have been able to tell, the 85 is a LITTLE thicker, and more pronounced in the lower freq range. the 81 is a little thinner yes, and has a ton of upper cut and attack. I think with most high gain heads like the 5150 and such, the 81 is PLENTY thick...

Archived