Hey Guys! New Member to the forum! Just picked up Komplete 8.

vice2.0

• Members

Hey guys! As the title says, I am new to the keyboard forum. I been on guitar for a couple of years now, but am now avidly wanting to get into synth/sample based stuff as well.

What are some patches I just HAVE to try within Kontakt, Massive, FM8, etc?

Here are some sounds that I am REALLY interested in making at the moment.

hnXyguFjDNc

oHrTOQ18yzU

32udqal_lyQ

I am not so much in love with the music, but the sounds they are geting are great.

Is there such a thing as a patch sharing community for soft-synths?

Cheers and hope to hang out more around here,

Michael

• Members

Hi Michael,

All told you probably have 155,000 presets in Komplete 8.... and you want more? (patch sharing community...... )

Seriously, though: first stop if you must do anything other than play through all of the stuff you just picked up, the 300 gigabytes of it, is to go over to the Reaktor user community and Ensemble library and have a look around. The user community may just be challenging, but the Ensemble library is inspiring, and features another 1,000 or so synths in case the bunch supplied with Komplete 8 aren't enough.

I would advise this as a time to exercise self-discipline: choose one synth or sample library in Komplete 8, and focus on it. And remember that Guitar Rig 5 in there is pretty awesome, too, and doesn't just have to be used with guitars.:)

Enjoy! You have literally 36 lifetimes' worth of stuff in Komplete 8, the hard part will be not drowning in it all.

• Members

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't so much looking for new presets, more like tweaked presets that may sound thicker or fuller. Kind of like how guitar modellers ship with terrible presets but a user community usually bands together and makes a great place to find tweaked and improved patches.

Thanks for the advice on the Reaktor User Community. I'll check it out.

• Members

Did you get the Komplete 8 "Ultimate" or the regular edition?

One remarkable instrument that comes with the Ultimate edition is the "Razor" Reaktor ensemble. This is an additive synth with an analog synth front-end, incredibly flexible. I got a lot out of the video tutorial sold by www.pluginguru.com.

One problem I have these days is that there are so many great synths and libraries available that it takes a lot of discipline to actually focus on one or two instruments and master them, or even learn basic programming. I'm old enough to remember the days when you saved and saved to buy one or two hardware synths and then had to squeeze every bit of functionality out of them. It's tempting just to sort through thousands of other people's presets and not even think about what's going on under the hood. I suggest really digging into Kontakt, Massive and maybe FM-8 to start.

Give a guy a bank of synth programs and he can make a track for a day - teach him to program and he'll make tracks for life...

• Members

Welcome! I don't have the Ultimate version but I have to confess I am tempted to buy Razor. Prism and Spark are both really cool synths too. I try to keep my Komplete up-to-date.

Are you into the idea of synth guitar? I have a Godin LG-XTsa and a Roland pitch-to-MIDI converter box (the Roland guitar synths will do this too). Prism has some presets that sound really cool triggered by the synth guitar and mixed in with regular outs from the Seymour Duncan pickups and/or the piezo bridge on my Godin. Even without synth guitar though, I would check out Prism and Spark presets just to see what they can do. Being a guitarist myself, I like the feedback sounds you can get from Spark. It is very "playable" in the sense that you can play notes with your controller of choice and manipulate the synth to bring in "musical" sounding feedback - almost like with a guitar... but different.

You can try jamming with Guitar Rig. That is always a good time. Build your own amp and cabinet model and effects chain or just use a preset :D

Kontakt is an industry standard sampler and there are probably thousands of third party sample-based instruments. The NI Scarbee bass guitar instruments for Kontakt sound really nice and very realistic (you can check out videos on NI's web site that describe them); I think one or more of those is in Komplete 8 now (I dunno - I bought one using vouchers a long time ago).

I would just start farting around with the other main synths - Absynth, FM8, Massive. Then get into some of the other Reaktor ensembles. Some of those like "Metaphysical function" can make really cool and "abstract" sounding... um... noises.

• Members

BTW I know there are bitter people out there re: NI (due to Kore, mainly), but there's a great new FREE synth called Skanner for NI Komplete users up on the website, dl'd it yesterday and played around with it and it's yet another cool way of making very wacky sounds. Made by the guy who was key to creating Reaktor at NI, so I look forward, like Razor, to taking apart its innards to see what makes it tick (and probably dropping my jaw at the incredible amount of work involved in creating it with Reaktor).

Archived