Help with my amp

bury730

• Members

Ok here's the deal,

I have a Marshall DSL100 and a ValveKing head. Now since a couple of months I keep noticing scratching noise when I play and mostly when I palm mute. This makes the distortion sound really ugly. I tried with a different cab, different jack chords, different guitar, simplified setup etc. and it keeps doing it.

Now why would BOTH my heads do that ... I thought it'd be the cab but apparently it's not cause I tried my cab with my friend's 5150 and it works perfectly.

If anyone knows or has any clue what my problem is please tell me :wave:

• Members

Could it be the strings scraping against your pickups? I have a few guitars I need to be carefull with when I palm mute because of this.

Can't be as I tried my different guitars and I tried my main guitar with my friend's 5150 and my cab and it sounded great. So it must be something in my heads...

• Members

Scratching sound could be several things.
Try and set the EQ at 5 all the way across, and see if it goes away. If it does, then it was the way you had it dialed in.
Do you use active pickups? If so, replace the 9 volt.
Have you checked the preamp tubes? If not, pull the shields off of them, take a pencil, and lightly tap each tube to test for microphonics.

• Members

Try and set the EQ at 5 all the way across, and see if it goes away. If it does, then it was the way you had it dialed in.

Have you checked the preamp tubes? If not, pull the shields off of them, take a pencil, and lightly tap each tube to test for microphonics.

It has a good chance to be the tubes cause I've tried everything else. But my two amps at the same time having tubes problem wow haha

• Members

It has a good chance to be the tubes cause I've tried everything else. But my two amps at the same time having tubes problem wow haha

Archived