Are Celestion CL80s and Mesa Black Shadow MC90s the same speaker?

atbear

• Members

They sound very close. I'm not sure if they're exactly the same or if the C90s are just a minor tweak of the CL80. I have some of each and I think I'm finding that I don't really care for them much
:(

Did you like the Madison speakers you got awhile ago i havnt talked to ya since i sold you the celestions

• Members

Did you like the Madison speakers you got awhile ago i havnt talked to ya since i sold you the celestions

I never received them. The accidentally shipped to an address in Utah (I'm in Maryland) and then said they didn't have anymore left! So, they refunded my $$$. I got some Eminence V12s from Troublehead instead...

• Members

I mean... I assume the Celestions are made in China now and the Mesas are still made in England (per their deal with Celestion)... but are they the same speaker?

Thanks

I have heard this being mentioned time and time again but I don't think the celestion Cl80 is the speaker that Boogie modifies for there MC90 speaker. I think that it is a g12h80 which is a different speaker then the cl80. I only know this because I bought 4 new MC90's speakers and they clearly said g12h80 right on them. If you do some research you will see that the cl80 and h80 are 2 different speakers.

As far as your question, The answer would be no, they don't sound alike. The cl80 is smoother sounding whereas the MC90 has a complexity to it. The MC90 is also a bit darker. That said, I never got to compare an h80 to the MC90

I hope that this helps

• Members

really? I didnt know that! So celelstion still make speakers in the UK especially for mesa??

I think that the only speakers still manufactured in UK are the mesa speakers and the Neo series. (My Cobra cab had made in UK greenbacks though, but it was made in 2004).

• Members

I have heard this being mentioned time and time again but I don't think the celestion Cl80 is the speaker that Boogie modifies for there MC90 speaker. I think that it is a g12h80 which is a different speaker then the cl80. I only know this because I bought 4 new MC90's speakers and they clearly said g12h80 right on them. If you do some research you will see that the cl80 and h80 are 2 different speakers.

As far as your question, The answer would be no, they don't sound alike. The cl80 is smoother sounding whereas the MC90 has a complexity to it. The MC90 is also a bit darker. That said, I never got to compare an h80 to the MC90

I hope that this helps

Thanks, yes it does help...

Having said that... what do you think of the G12H80, and how does it sound compared to a CL80, if you know?

Thanks, everyone!

Drew

• Members

I think that the only speakers still manufactured in UK are the mesa speakers and the Neo series. (My Cobra cab had made in UK greenbacks though, but it was made in 2004).

Don't forget the Heritage series.

• Members

Thanks, yes it does help...

Having said that... what do you think of the G12H80, and how does it sound compared to a CL80, if you know?

Thanks, everyone!

Drew

I never got to compare the Two. I have played cl80's and liked them but I never got to play an h80. Those speakers are getting harder to find now. The celestion website doesn't even list them anymore! I did do some research before I opened up my mouth and the cl80 and h80 are in fact two different speakers!! I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't smoking crack and I had my facts straight ha ha!! :D

• Members

They sound very close. I'm not sure if they're exactly the same or if the C90s are just a minor tweak of the CL80. I have some of each and I think I'm finding that I don't really care for them much
:(

they have the CL80 sticker on the magnet, so I'm guessing they're a tweaked CL80.

I feel the same way sort of, I've had mine for a while..not too fond of their tone anymore.

• Members

they have the CL80 sticker on the magnet, so I'm guessing they're a tweaked CL80.

I feel the same way sort of, I've had mine for a while..not too fond of their tone anymore.

That's not what Ralph said above... Hmm...

Drew

• Members

Mine definitely had a G12h80 sticker and not cl80. I'm 100% sure of this but that is not to say that Mesa can mod either speaker?

Wow. I'm much more confused now that I was before reading this thread! :) So, are the Celestion stickers hiding beneath the Mesa "Black Shadow" stickers?

• Members

Wow. I'm much more confused now that I was before reading this thread!
:)
So, are the Celestion stickers hiding beneath the Mesa "Black Shadow" stickers?

No, there's a small white sticker on the side where the magnet is (all celestion speakers have these - they tell you the model number). These speakers don't even come with the black shadow sticker on, you have to put them on yourself.

• Members

No, there's a small white sticker on the side where the magnet is (all celestion speakers have these - they tell you the model number). These speakers don't even come with the black shadow sticker on, you have to put them on yourself.

No big magnet stickers even if you bought a cab loaded with CL90s? I'm not being a smartass, I've only ever bought these things used.

• Members

No big magnet stickers even if you bought a cab loaded with CL90s? I'm not being a smartass, I've only ever bought these things used.

The ones I bought were new straight from Mesa, and they had the stickers in the same box - but not attached to the speaker. I do know the cabs already have them attached when you buy them new.

no big deal really.

• Members

The ones I bought were new straight from Mesa, and they had the stickers in the same box - but not attached to the speaker. I do know the cabs already have them attached when you buy them new.

no big deal really.

Are you positive they said CL80s on them and not G12H80s?

• Members

Are you positive they said CL80s on them and not G12H80s?

I have three CL80s at home; two more recent ones and another in an old Mark series cab. I'll look for the stickers on the frames and report back tonight...

• Members

I have three CL80s at home; two more recent ones and another in an old Mark series cab. I'll look for the stickers on the frames and report back tonight...

Thanks, but I am talking about the Black Shadow MC90s... are you?

• Members

Yikes!! same here! I bought my speakers straight from boogie and they had a little white sticker on the side of the magnet that said g12h80!! I'm starting to think that either Boogie is modding both speakers or that Mine were mislabled? I don't know now!!! I'm even more confused then I was before!! :D

Archived