Amp --HOT PLATE -- Amp: How can i.....

tudor_d_toidle

• Members

How can i make this hookup? Amp (Head) to IN on Hot Plate--to Line Out of Hot PlateTo-- Front of 2nd Amp (combo)...Or would it be better in the Effects Return of the Combo, bypassing the pre-amp? Do I need to hang a cable out of one of the "to speaker" outs on the Hot Plate? Is this safe? THD Hot Plate literature is not very specific on this. Thanks.

• Members

with the hotplate set to load the speaker output is off, no load is needed. Connecting a cab won't hurt but it will be muted. Any other setting should always have a cab connected to the speaker out.

In either case, simply having a cable connected to the output and nothing else (which is what "hanging a cable out" sounds like to me) is the same as having nothing connected and is totally pointless :confused:

• Members

with the hotplate set to load the speaker output is off, no load is needed. Connecting a cab won't hurt but it will be muted. Any other setting should always have a cab connected to the speaker out.

In either case, simply having a cable connected to the output and nothing else (which is what "hanging a cable out" sounds like to me) is the same as having nothing connected and is totally pointless
:confused:

NO NO NO, NOT Correct. You Must have a load (speaker) attached to your hotplate EVEN IF you are setting it to load, or you will JACK up your amp.

• Members

have a load (speaker) attached to your hotplate
EVEN IF
you are setting it to load, or you will JACK up your amp.

No, you're wrong. With the hot plate set to load the hot plate IS the load so there's no need to have a speaker attached. There's no signal going to the speaker out.

Straight from the manual:

If you do not want to hear any sound coming from the speaker(s), set the Hot Plate rotary switch to LOAD.
At this setting alone it is safe to disconnect your speakers from the Hot Plate and still operate your amp.
IMPORTANT: ONLY WHEN THE HOT PLATE IS SET AT LOAD IS IT SAFE TO OPERATE YOU AMP WITHOUT SPEAKERS CONNECTED

• Members

No, you're wrong. With the hot plate set to load the hot plate IS the load so there's no need to have a speaker attached. There's no signal going to the speaker out.

+1, I do it if using DI for recording (occasionally to scratch pad ideas).

And yeh - into the effects return not the front of the amp.

• Members

Learn something new everyday. I stand corrected. :thu:

• Members

How can i make this hookup? Amp (Head) to IN on Hot Plate--to Line Out of Hot PlateTo-- Front of 2nd Amp (combo)...Or would it be better in the Effects Return of the Combo, bypassing the pre-amp? Do I need to hang a cable out of one of the "to speaker" outs on the Hot Plate? Is this safe? THD Hot Plate literature is not very specific on this. Thanks.

As already stated, Amp's output to Hot Plate set to load, and then to the second amp's FX return. You may also need a dummy cable in the FX send of the second amp to disconnect its preamp. You'll know the dummy cable is needed if the sound changes when it is inserted.

What are you trying to do with this setup? The reason I ask is I've done this before to get great low volume tone by reamping my big amps with a SS PA into guitar speakers.

• Members

Yep---still trying to get good tone at low volume...Do you have to have guitar speakers to get the good tone through your PA? What would it sound like with non-PA, regular home stereo speakers? Any tips to getting the good tone through a 2nd amp (I'm running MesaBoogie Solo 50 Rectified > Hot Plate > FX Return of Peavey Classic 30? What do you think? ps thanks.

• Members
Yep---still trying to get good tone at low volume...Do you have to have guitar speakers to get the good tone through your PA? What would it sound like with non-PA, regular home stereo speakers? Any tips to getting the good tone through a 2nd amp (I'm running MesaBoogie Solo 50 Rectified > Hot Plate > FX Return of Peavey Classic 30? What do you think? ps thanks.

You'll either need to use real guitar speakers, or a cab sim of some sort like those found on Line6 PODs. A real DI box like the Behringer Ultra-G or H&K Red Box Pro can also provide you with a cab sim. Really, guitar speakers take a bit of juice to sound good, on the order of 0.5 W which is still pretty loud with a sensitive speaker. So, it's actually easier to run to full range speakers like powered monitors as long as you're happy with the cab sims. I really like the cab sims on my Line6 Toneport UX-2 which are the same as the rest of the POD series, plus you get FX as well. So, if you have the gear, try your Recto > Hot Plate on Load > PODxt for cab sim & FX or eqiv. > Powered Monitors or full range equiv.

Archived