Epiphone wiring in the control cavity is perplexing

bluesboy

• Members

I tried to put in new pickups yesterday into my Epi LP standard. The wiring in the cavity looks quite different than in all the Gibsons i've looked at, which is like at least 5. I wasn't sure what to put where, so I tried the old (clip, twist, and solder) method, and Im getting bad static whenever I touch something metal (screws that hold the pickups in, screws that hold the pickguard on, the strings). Anybody put new pickups in their Epi LP yourself? Did you have any problems figuring out what goes where? What is that thing with thte plastic clip and all the wires attached?

EDIT: any advice is welcome

• Members

I tried to put in new pickups yesterday into my Epi LP standard. The wiring in the cavity looks quite different than in all the Gibsons i've looked at, which is like at least 5. I wasn't sure what to put where, so I tried the old (clip, twist, and solder) method, and Im getting bad static whenever I touch something metal (screws that hold the pickups in, screws that hold the pickguard on, the strings). Anybody put new pickups in their Epi LP yourself? Did you have any problems figuring out what goes where? What is that thing with thte plastic clip and all the wires attached?

EDIT: any advice is welcome

which pickups did you install ?

It could be a bad ground due to a bad solder, poor cavity shielding, etc.. Does it do that with all your guits ? Was it doing it first hand before changing everything ?

• Members

no, there was no noise like that with the old pickups. i thought I had solid connections when I sodlered... i pulled on them (not super hard, but hard enough) and nothing came loose that I know of.

pickups are GFS vintage 59's, open coils

• Members

no, there was no noise like that with the old pickups. i thought I had solid connections when I sodlered... i pulled on them (not super hard, but hard enough) and nothing came loose that I know of.

pickups are GFS vintage 59's, open coils

a solid connection doesn't always mean it's a good connection my friend, are they smooth ? did you use some flux ? Are the soldered parts separate as on the wiring diagram ?

how's the ground ?

What pickups were fitted before ? If any actives were involved, the wiring is quite different.

• Members

[a solid connection doesn't always mean it's a good connection my friend,

are they smooth ? so so

did you use some flux ? yes

Are the soldered parts separate as on the wiring diagram ? yes

how's the ground ? should be Ok, it was fine before and I didnt change anything where the pickups are actually grounded

What pickups were fitted before ? If any actives were involved, the wiring is quite different stock epi pickups

• Members

Not sure if this is any help to you, but here's my Epi LP after I installed GFS Fat PAFs.

BTW, Bethlehem...how's Dave Phillips Music & Sound these days?

Bought my first electric guitar there.

epiwiring.jpg

Hey, that's a nice close-up pic, but unfortuneately it doesn't help me much. Are you good with photoshop (or maybe someone else reading this thread), can you mark what goes where, etc? I think I figured out what goes where on mine, but im still confused.... I see where the hot wire goes, and where the ground goes. But there is another wire coming off of the same terminal the hot is on, that looks like it goes to ground, and then somewhere else? Maybe my guitar was wired incorrectly or something, or maybe im just confused

BTW, Dave Phillips is still one of my favorite stores :thu:

• Members

I can give you the following tips:

I soldered the green wire coming from each pup to the bottom contact on the two volume pots, as you can see on the pots on the left.

The red & white wires from each pup were soldered together - I left them that way. I wrapped them with electrical tape so they wouldn't touch anything.

The black and the braided unshielded wire I soldered together, then to the back of the volume pots.

• Members

I can give you the following tips:

I soldered the green wire coming from each pup to the bottom contact on the two volume pots, as you can see on the pots on the left.

The red & white wires from each pup were soldered together - I left them that way. I wrapped them with electrical tape so they wouldn't touch anything.

The black and the braided unshielded wire I soldered together, then to the back of the volume pots.

Ok I see it now... thanks!~

Archived